Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEWBIE - C3 to T1 decompression with instrumented posterior fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions

I have multilevel cervical stenosis (congenital) with myelopathy and am due to have posterior instrumented fusion in the Summer.
The surgery is for C3 to T1 decompression with instrumented posterior fusion.
I would be really grateful to hear from anyone who has been through a similar procedure and who can give me some advice on what to expect during recovery.
I am particularly worried about how my neck will feel mobility wise and whether I will be able to move it at all afterwards.
I am 39 and have had neck and arm symptoms for several years, my legs are now affected and I guess surgery is the only option?

Thanks and best wishes

• zirgle, wow, I can't imagine how your recovery will go.

I can only tell you as it relates to me, but my range of motion is limited. I can look up and down slightly (no more holding phone between ear and shoulder), and can look side to side about 45 degrees each way. wish I had the exact measurements in front of me, but please know that your range of motion will be affected with as much work as you are having done. I am C5 to T1.

I won't sugar coat it, the posterior surgery is very painful and has been hard for me, and others here have said the same thing. The anterior approach is less painful, but it sounds like you need to go posteriorly because of the stenosis. I am a little surprised that you will be having such a large surgery at one time. The good news is that this is the best way to take the pressure off of your cord and stop the progression of the myelopathy.

I would suggest that you get at least one other opinion. I think this is important no matter how big of a spine surgery because (here's my broken record speech) "spine surgery is serious business and isn't an easy recovery." In your case, I especially think a 2nd opinion is important, because I haven't heard of that large of a surgery happening as a first surgery.

Stick around here and ask loads of questions. We can't give medical advice, but we can share our experiences with you. I know once I found this site it helped me to know what was normal and what I should be worried about.

Welcome to spine-health.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i do not have your problems but we do share pain! :D good luck as you seek pain relief! =D> Jenny :)
  • I have arranged to see another chap for a second opinion in 2 weeks, so maybe he will think of something less drastic (:
  • Hi,
    I would like to welcome you to the site.
    I think you will find some answers to your questions,
    If I can do anything to help, please ask, or if you just need a ear or a friend that has myeolpathy Im here..
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I am sure you will find lots of information here. I have had both surgeries done and have to say that the posterior approach is harder to recover from, but it is also the best way to attack stenosis. Hope that your second opinion goes well and helps you understand what is going on better. I was lost before I found Spine-Health, it has been a great place to be.

• Thanks Mark and Patsy and everyone else, it is great to find somewhere with people who know exactly what its like to be in this situation, I am really glad to have found this place!

As soon as I see the new chap for a second opinion, I am sure I will have lots more questions.
    Cheerio for now