Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More meds or surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Medications
OK Iam asking this to the ones who have been in my shoes i have rotoscoliosis, fibromyalgia, lumbar stenosis and 2 other types of chronic pain that I have lived with for 10 plus years..I take 45 mg of methadone a day and 2 or 3 Loratabs for break through pain.Yea not enough) I am at the point that I live everyday with my pain level at 8 to 9. No more nerve blocks said my doctor they are a waste of time and money...My doctor is strange about increasing or changing my pain meds. Everyone I have known who has had back surgery said that they are still in pain...so what do I do.... Should I just come out and ask my doctor to change my pain meds to something stronger or have surgery..

• Hi Cathy.Welcome :H

How long has your Dr been treating you for pain? I read your post,and know that you have been in pain for years,but don't know if this is the same Dr that has been treating you for this pain all along.

If it is he should know about tolerance and pain levels,if you changed Drs he may not understand or know how much pain you are in.

Personally I wouldn't ask my Dr for something stronger.Whenever I go into my PM I'm always asked my pain levels and I've never had to ask for more or stronger medication.

IMO you should discuss your pain levels with your Dr and go from there.Surgery is only as a last resort-this is also only my opinion,and because I've been through so much I simply won't go through anymore operations unless there is NO other choice.In otherwords,if elective surgery would be on the form-I wouldn't be signing it.

Welcome to S~H.You will find a lot of good information here.