Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ART (Active Release Technique)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Alternative Treatments
Has anyone here tried a chiro that does ART to manage some of their pain? It's generally used for sports rehab/therapy...but since I try to stay as active as I possibly can, I thought it might be an interesting option for me to try. There is a highly-regarded sports chiropractor in the next town, who is well-trained in ART and I was seriously considering an appointment with him just to get his opinion on my grade 2 spondy and DDD...and to see if ART could help with at least some of my low back/glute pain. I'd love to hear any feedback from those that have tried an ART-trained chiropractor. Thanks!

• I have not tried ART but did some reading about it on a couple websites. It sounds interesting and can see how it would be very helpful to some people. However, I do not see how it could help much with your problems.

With a grade 2 spondy, you need to be very careful about letting anyone work on you. I would assume with your issues, that the majority of your pain is coming from nerve compression. It sounds like ART is mainly designed to be effective on soft tissue. No amount of manipulation is going to free up those nerves and give them needed space to pass freely again.

On the other hand, you might as well meet with him to see if he has anything to offer you. If he is a knowledgeable practitioner, he should be able to say whether your problems are suited to his treatments. I would go for a consultation rather than a treatment.
  • Hi

Thought I'd comment. I have been treated with ART for about 6 months now. It has been extremely helpful!

My back problems started when I was a teen, tumor on my lower spine. L1-L5. Radiation treatments following and then I went about my life. At age 50 I noticed muscle weakness climbing stairs which got worse. Tried working out and that made things worse. After numerous tests I was diagnosed with late onset radiation induced radiculopathy. Other comments were that I had ALOT of scar tissue from surgery/radiation and muscle loss everywhere below the surgery. Apparent nerve damage. Neurologist told me it'd get worse and wheelchair was in my near future. I didn't listen. :) Long story short, I work with a trainer 5 days a week trying to recoup muscle which has been successful but I researched and found ART because of the scar tissue issue.

When I started ART my spine was rock hard and now it actually "gives" when anyone works on me. My chiropractor has REALLY loosened up the scar tissue which makes me more flexible, I have been able to control some of the twitching, muscle cramping, it improves my workout and my day to day is better. I started out at 3x a week now at 2X and ready to cut down to 1.

I am still vertical and have no plans to go to any wheelchair.
    You of course have to be careful considering your issues, but it has worked wonders for me!
  • I had a lot of myofascial pain and scar tissue after my third neck surgery and ART has helped me a lot - I have been going for about 9 months and pain, spasms and tightness have been slowly getting better. Pain from nerve compression causes the soft tissue to tighten and spasm, and ART can help with that and give you better function. I go to a PT who is trained in ART. He never touches my spine, just my muscles.