Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is there no end to my troubles!

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Yesterday i was cleaning my room up and there was a box of books on the floor,i was vacuuming and doing a spring clean and i had already gotten a couple bags of old clothes together to go to charity and decided that the books would go as well.i went to push it aside toward the door so i could continue to vacuum and my body moved and did a funny thing but the box stayed where it was . I had a horribly bad pressure on my lower back and then came the pain.The backs of my legs started to cramp up right down to my ankles.I couldn't believe it happened.After working on strengthening myself for almost a year now i thought that my back had gotten stronger than that,but i guess not.I couldn't even straighten up last night.I took a muscle relaxer right away and an anti inflammatory,which i really shouldn't be taking but it hurt like hell and i don't have any pain meds. then i hopped in the bath nice and hot and stayed there for a bit.I had a hard time sleeping,waking up a lot,but i had a massage this morning that helped some.He told me that my back is still very fragile.NO KIDDING!!! ~X(

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    things like this can happen again and again, even after you are years post surgery.
    That is just one of the trials all of us who have had spinal surgery need to be aware of and at times go through.
    When I hear about people having problems like you just described, I tell them wait it out a couple of days to see how it progresses. If there is no sign of relief after a day or so, then calling your doctor might be the best thing to do.

I had my last Cervical surgery in 2000. So, for most practical purposes, I should be 100% healed. Put aside any of my other spinal problems, but today was an example of how things can irritate.
    I was washing our outside windows with a hose. At the end of that routine, I used a squeggy (not sure how to spell that)on the windows. Most of them , no problem, but there were some windows that I had to look up at. Well, thats one thing my neck does not fair well with. Looking up and working like that for only a few minutes, triggered off a lot of cervical pain. My shoulders hurt, the base of my neck burns. But after experiences, I know that tomorrow or the next day I will be ok.
    But always listen to your body.. If there is something going on that you can understand or figure out, then there is never any harm in contacting your doctor.
    Lets hope that tomorrow morning you will be feeling better.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm hoping that its just a strain and will get better quickly.At least i'm standing straight today,thats something.LOL. I realize that my back will never be fantastic but i don't know i was kinda hoping that my neck problems were the basis for most of my pain like they thought but now i'm kinda guessing there's a lot more to it then just my neck.
  • I'm sorry that you're having more back problems. Did you have srgery for your lumber herniations? Or did they resolve on their own? I hope you're feeling better and you should get your lower back checked out. I think you did the right thing to get the hot bath and you can try ice 15 minutes 4x day also with the heat but you should see your Dr after a few days if you're still having pain. Take care of you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Nope never had surgery for my lower back.i had so many different problems before my cervical surgery that they just couldn't tell for sure where everything was coming from. a lot of the pain was stemming from my neck but there is obviously lower back problems as well causing me pain.I think that the car accident stirred it up again and the box thing just made it worse. maybe i'll try the ice tonight just before i go to bed thanks.
  • well i went to therapy yesterday for the first time since i hurt my lower back.They did more pain reduction on me.Yaah no exercises.lol It helped a bit.He told me just to walk on the weekend and not to bother trying any exercises until my back is feeling better.Before i left though he did say something to me that was a bit disturbing.Before my surgery i was having a huge balance issue and it was thought that having the surgery was going to correct it.When i started therapy my surgeon instructed my therapist to give me balance exercises to do to help my balance get better. As i went along it was getting better,but then i had the car accident and it started to decline again.They were thinking that the accident had created a lot more inflammation in my neck and that was causing the decline but when the inflammation came down then the balance would start to get better again but it hasn't.My therapist has been watching me doing my exercises closely the last little while and he told me yesterday that he doesn't think that the balance issue is coming from my neck he thinks that i have a muscle issue in my lower back and hips and he thinks it could be coming from the discs that are bulging out of place.FANTASTIC.He told me that when i see my surgeon at the end of the month to mention it to him so he can check out the rest of my spine.He thinks that i may need surgery on my lower back now.Not just because of this last incident that i had this week but because they have gone out of place so many times and doesn't seem to be able to go very long without herniating.Everytime they seem to get them so that there not bothering me its not too long before they bulge again.