Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP Severe Pain 4 months post op PLIF

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I need some big prayers. I had been on medrol steroid pack for a week from my ortho, and wasnt helping. Called on Monday and said to give it time. Had been taking for 5 days. It did help inflammation, but not pain. Called Ortho again on Weds. and he was gone until next Tues. I went to my primary Dr today due to the fact that I was having severe mechanical pain whenever I stood, walked, etc. He immedieatly did Xray, Lab and I had a MRI with contrast within the course of 3 hours. The report will be read tomm am. Dont know what to do. I feel something hasnt been right for 3 weeks or so. I did not have any siatic pain or leg burning prior to fusion. A week ago wed during sleep I awoke to pain that was so severe it reminded me of immediatley post op fusion.
I will see what they find, and what will have to be done. Maybe nothing. I dont know. Just scared and needing all my friends to say a special one for me. I dont think I can deal with another surgery. I have had 7 in last 2 years. Only 2 of those on back. Wish me luck....

• i am also 4 months post plif and just not feeling like my ortho cares now that he has been paid for my surgery i would love tto talk to u about what your ortho recomended as far as pt ect. hope your still up. i am due to pain . i just wish it would go away. karin
  • I am almost 4 months post PLIF myself and for the past few days have been having increasing pain that is getting worse every day. Just can CT scan today and xrays - I wish you luck with your results - trust your body and yourself - you know when something is not right ..

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone..
  • Hi Robin,

I just read your post and I wanted to tell you that I can really realte to what you are going through right now. I had PLIF 11/25/08 L2-L3. I did not have any burningon my leg prior to my fusion either but it started after surgery and has gotten increasingly worse. I am on Lyrica for it and it is helping right now. I will be having a CT scan in the next few weeks also.

I will say a prayer for you tonight, that your tests you had today help find your problem, that it is minor, and that you feel better soon.

Fused L2-3 to S1 and at C5-6. I have a central herniation @ T11-12 and multiple bulging discs in my thoracic. I also have fibromyalgia and suspected arachnoiditis, awaiting my results of a recent MRI.
  • I got my results of my xrays and MRI. I guess I have some edema and inflammation. The rods and screws are still in place. I live in a small town and am not totally impressed with the radiologist that reads them, so I got a copy and will take it to my Dr when I go. I got some meds for nerve pain, gabapentin, because my insurance wont allow Lyrica. I am suppose to take 300 mg three times a day. Maybe that will help. I must have twisted or something to get the inflamation as I have been doing better up until the last couple weeks.
    I hope that it improves soon. I am so tired of hurting when I walk. Guess paitience is a virtue, and I need more of that,:) Anyway, give it time. Thanks for all those who have responded. I guess we need to remember how big of surgery it is and how long it takes to reocver. Wishing you all as painfree a night as possible.
  • Pain is not a fun thing and I am praying for you and that you will get some relief. Also I will pray for answers to what needs to be done to make things better.

• Thanks for your encouragement. I am hoping that things will start looking back up. I will see how I am and go from there when my Dr gets back. Mri and xrays indicate some inflammation and edema. Hope it goes away.
    You are having the same surgery as I did, except are you having a diskectomy? I had to fight insurance co too. Was refused 2 times and finally got so mad I called the medical director over 2 states. That worked. It is amazing what can happen when you mess with an angry, woman in pain for 2 1/2 years.
    Good Luck to you. I will say a prayer for you that you have a positive result and things go well for you.Remember to take a platic garbage bag with you in your car. After surgery, putting that on the seat makes it easy for you to swivel in the seat getting in and out without hurting yourslef. Any questions, PM me. I will try to help you any way I can. Again thanks for the prayers. I know they work! :H