Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here...recent cervical fusion surgery

OliviaJOOliviaJ Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
HI everyone, my name is Olivia and I found the forum while surfing the web looking for info on my surgery and recovery(and boredom). I had a multi-level fusion (c5-c7)a little over 10 days ago. My symptoms proir to surgery are noticeably better and the pain and spasms from after the surgery are getting better...but I know this will be a long road to recovery. Over the last few days I have been able to get up and move around more with ease...though I am in (stuck in) a miami j collar w/thoracic extension. Thanks for having me and good luck to all with future surgeries and those of you who have had recent surgery. I am more than willing to share my experience and hopefully learn from others, take care, Olivia

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

I'm glad that your surgery helped your symptoms. Yeah, the collar is pretty difficult to live in, but I found it comforting because my neck muscles weren't very strong and it was nice to have protection.

What has your surgeon said about when you can go to a soft collar?

I know it's easy to get bored and when that happens it's easy to do things you shouldn't, so I'm glad you've found us. We're glad to have you.

Can you give us a little more info about yourself - what led you to surgery, do you have someone helping you, etc?

Take care,
  • Hi Cath, I actually fell off a ladder and ended up with a whiplash like injury...that never really improved. In fact it got worse over the last 2 months or so.(I am a klutz). Anyhow, I was told to expect to be in the miami j collar with extension part for about 6 weeks...then they will take the extension part off and probably another 4-6 weeks in just the miami j. From what I've read I guess they will put me in a soft collar when I start my phy. therapy. Time is going by slowly. But, I am happy that the surgery seems to be a success so far. I do have a boyfriend and other friends that are helping me, thanks and stay in touch, Olivia
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please have a look around and make yourself at home. :D good luck on a healthy recovery! =D> Jenny :)