Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here...recent cervical fusion surgery

OliviaJOOliviaJ Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, my name is Olivia and I had cervical fusion surgery about 10 days ago. I found this forum while surfing the web(and boredom) for info on my surgery and recovery. Overall, I am recovering well, my symptoms prior to surgery are noticeably better. The pain and spasming from the surgery is also improving. I have been able to get up and move around better over the last few days though the surgeon has me in (stuck in) a miami j collar with thoracic extension. I am happy to share my experience with others and hopefully learn more about "life after surgery". Take care and thanks for having me, Olivia

• I had almost the same surgery on the same day. My ACDF was on c5/c6. For the most part, I've been pleased with my recovery as well. I had to stop taking my pain meds 3 days after surgery because they were making me nauseous. Then my muscle spasms got really bad, so the NS put me on a steroid pack. That helped for a few days, but I'm still so achy and sore in my shoulders and in the back of my neck. I am in a hard collar as well, which is NO fun! I want so badly to take it off and roll my head around. (but of course, I won't)

I'm glad to hear that you are recovering well.

Take care,
  • I had to laugh at your comment about taking the hard collar off...same here!! ugh!! I expected to be in one but not the extension piece down my chest...no fun!!! I was told there was a "change in plans" on the hardware he used. How is your nausea now? I had it but my Dr. did not think it was the pain meds...it's better now. Are your pre-op symptoms better? Just curious, how did you hurt your neck? You are welcome to PM if you'd like. Nice to hear from you, please stay in touch, take care, Olivia
  • We had the same surgery I think. I am now 5 days post op & doing well. I walk every day for an hour. Still having muscle spasms but the flexeril works well. My throat was really sore & swollen but it feels a little better today. I am wearing a miami j collar as well. Love it & hate it! It allows me to sleep on my side so I am grateful for that. Hope you are feeling well today. Take care.
  • Hi Joann, nice to hear from you and that you are doing well..I think we did in fact have the same surgery. I think you will find that after you get past a week or so...things really will improve...I hope! The last few days have been noticeably better for me. I'm sure you've been told, but Chloroseptic helps the sore throat. I have been doing some walking everyday..weather permitting...and I am starting to get REALLY bored! A girlfriend has offered to take me out on short(and necessary) shopping trip on Sunday...I need to go and really think I may be up to it. Keep me posted on how you are doing and lets stay in touch, take care, Olivia
  • My name is Tori and I too have a little extra time on my hands for similar reasons.
    I broke my neck in 2002 and had an ACDF c5/c6 and was told there was more work to be done but they wanted to see what was going mend on its own. In 2008 I had an ACDF c6/c7 only to find out 2 months ago that the graft never fused. The same surgery,(only done in a different way), was re-done May 6th,2009 (last week) This time they used a graft from my hip instead of a donor and the plate is actually placed in between the veribra almost like a disc place holder. I guess this is a new technique. And unlike you I have never been blessed with a collar of any type as my doc things it causes weakness of the associated muscles.
    So here are some questions...Do any of you use a bone stimulator? Did you or will you return to work? If so, what do you do for a living?
    Thanks in advance!
  • Just thought I would check in to see how things are going for you. We had our surgery on the same day, remember? I am back to work as of yesterday, but only 1/2 days. I still feel pretty achy most of the time in my neck and shoulder. And I still get soooooo tired!!!

I hope all is well with you!

Take care,