Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks post op

Nicole74NNicole74 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm 4 weeks post op of ACDF C5-C6 today and I'm still in unmanageable neck and arm pain. I've put in several calls into the surgeon's office and yesterday they decided that they are going to do a MRI as soon as possible. Insurance has to approve of the procedure first. The surgeon's PA says that this pain isn't normal and I should of seen some improvement by now. I have involuntary head jerks from this injury and they've gotten worse in the past 3 weeks. My neck is still snapping also when my head jerks.

What do you think could be wrong? Maybe I herniated my C7? I do have new pain and numbness, my middle and ring finger in my right hand and the pain in the forearm has gotten worse. Maybe the surgery went wrong? I just don't know. The surgeon's office has not helped me manage the pain well.

• I just read your message and I think you are doing the right thing by getting into see your surgeon ASAP. I had pain and numbness you described before my surgery and mine is noticeably better...I assume by the head movements you describe your surgeon did not put you in a collar post-op? Let me know what you find out...best wishes, Olivia
  • I'm sorry you're having these problems. Everyone expects that they're going to be feeling better after surgery, other than the normal aches and pains, not feeling worse.

I can't answer your questions, but wanted to let you know we're here for you. I'm anxious to here what your MRI results are. Please be sure to keep us posted.

• The surgeon I used does not use the collar unless there is a 3 level fusion or higher. He says they are not necessary.

I'm also anxious to have the MRI and hear the results.
  • I also had right arm pain, tingling, and numbness BEFORE my surgery, and it was immediately alleviated by the surgery. Keep pushing the insurance company and communicate with your surgeon. Good luck -
  • I really don't know how much more I can take of this pain. It is so bad. :( I'm sorry, I really don't mean to complain.
  • This too shall pass! Don't lose faith!

Get that MRI asap and lets hope that most of what you are dealing with is inflammation from surgery. I've had ALOT of that myself. I may have had a "flare up" and am on a prednisone pack that has helped ease my suffering 'til I can get an MRI and know for sure I'm okay. Maybe you can take a prednisone steroid pack also and see if it will calm your pain down.

Get a good hug and hang in there, okay?
  • I believe.
    You'll be playing "monster" again soon,...just more carefully! :)
  • Thanks buckeyedback. I hope it does get better. I was put on steroids last week and they did not help. Bummer. I hope the MRI shows what is going on in there.

As for playing monster, I think I'm done with it.LOL The kids get too riled up and I'm safer if I sit on the couch and watch.
  • It looks like I herniated two more discs. One above and below the fusion. It looks like the C7 is pressing against the spinal cord. I see the surgeon in two days.
  • It looks like I herniated two more discs. One above and below the fusion. It looks like the C7 is pressing against the spinal cord. I see the surgeon in two days.
  • Nicole,

I am sorry to hear about your newly discovered herniated disks. The question I have is why were these not discovered prior to the first surgery?

Does the surgery cause additional disk problems?

Just curious I as I am having the ACDF on 4/30.

BTW my surgeon just returned from a medical seminar where the "Tampa Florida guys" were discussed. It seems like there are State and Federal investigations underway, plus many lawsuits from former patients. I am taking a pass on them, going with the ACDF. (|:
  • I'm sorry about your set-back. I just wanted to wish you good luck with the surgeon and send some extra prayers for you today!