Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello!! new here!

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello! My name is Amanda and I'm 28 years old. I've had back problems for over ten years now, but it never got to the point where I needed an MRI until last month. I still dont' understand what is wrong with me except that it hurts really bad. I have three children and one step-child and it is hard to keep up with them on a normal day. Thankfully I only work part-time (10 hours/week), but I'm in tears before I go in, and in tears when I leave. My middle child has Autism, and my youngest has a speech delay, so I spend my weekdays driving them back and forth to therapies, which makes my pain even worse sitting in a car for 45 minutes at a time. It's getting to the point where I dont' even want to get out of bed because I hurt so bad. My relationship with my husband is hurting because I never get things done around the house, and he just doesnt' understand the pain I'm in.

I went yesterday to get a epidural injection. The procedure itself went great, I felt almost nothing. And last night I felt great. I even managed to get some laundry done while watching all the kids, plus my baby niece! But when I woke up today, the pain was back, in fact it was worse. I've taken my medicine (Lortabs 7.5, and Naproxen 500) but it's not helping. I dont' know whether to call the doctor or wait it out. My legs feel like they are on fire all the way down to my toes.

So anyways, that is my story.

• Amanda welcome, and sorry to hear about your pain. I would call and let your doctor know your in that much pain. I have had a couple steroid injections and I did a simular thing on my second shot. I felt so good I over did it the next day and I was in a ton of pain for a few days. For me, it settled down over time but I would not hesitate to call your doctor.

I feel for you on trying to work and keep everything together in that much pain. You may have to find ways to minimize the stress on your back. I rarely hold my 2 year old daughter, and when I do I make her cimb up into my lap in my chair, and I never pick her up from her crib until she is standing up reaching for me. I even have her pick things up off the floor for me, because I know bending over is the worst think I can do. Of course with life, and kids, we have to take care of things that increase our pain.

I have a spouse who understands my pain and often times she will get mad at me for doing too much, she often sees the pain in my eyes prior to me feeling it (we spend so much effort trying to not think about the pain). I hope over time your husband becomes more understanding, this can be a really tough issue.

Well take care and hope things improve for you.....Mitch
  • sorry to hear about you pain and even more sorry that your husband is not sympathetic .i know just how bad this pain is as i have suffered for 15 years and had 2 operations and 2 wives!.have you tried a TENS ? also use ice on you lower back also go back to your doctors and ask for a stronger pain killer .i know that you are a busy person but do you think that you could get to a swimming pool ? that may help you and it will give you some ME time!.also try to rest with your feet up {a recliner is perfect for this} make your husband listen to you let him read some of the post on hear any of us regulars will answer any questions we all all happy to help
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Just wanted to say I'm sorry you're in so much pain. You have a lot to take care of with home, children, and work. I hope you can soon get relief. Good luck.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please talk to your doctor about your pain. :-C there are many adequate pain medications available which could help you!!remember, you are not alone.. :D drop by anytime you have a mind to. Jenny :)
  • Amanda,

The pool, or a hot tub is a great idea, if you have access and time. One thing to remember is make sure the temp. is high enough, cold water pools increase my pain. Aslo, I wouldnt try to exercise too much in the pool, unless you have expert guidance. The best thing for me is to just grab a floating noodle and just hold on and float. This takes pressure off the back and helps relax it, anytime I try to stretch too much or swim, I end up in way more pain.

I hope you can get to a pool or hot tub that works for you, another thing it does is clear your mind of pain a bit. good luck..........Mitch