Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New - ACDF surgery 3/27/09

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello! I had surgery one week ago today - Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion, C5-C6. I think I'm recuperating fairly well. I have some questions.

How long did the sore throat last for you?

How long did the difficulty in swallowing last for you?

How long did the hoarse voice last for you?

How much time do you think I'll be off work? (I work in an office, usually on a PC all day long.)

If muscle spasms develop post-surgery, about when should I watch for this?

Shelbymom
ACDF D5-D6 Surgery March 27, 2009

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health. Your past the worst part now and just need the healing to begin.

How long did the sore throat last for you?
    The sore throat lasted about a couple of days. Chloraseptic spray does wonders.

How long did the difficulty in swallowing last for you?
    I actually on the first surgery had no problems swallowing was eating fine that afternoon. Although i could feel it some food went down easy. others have had it last for about 2 weeks.
    How long did the hoarse voice last for you?
    The voice issues right now for me are a reoccurring problem from surgery. I'm about 3 months out from hardware removal and working with voice therapist now. Most are fine about the two week mark but have seen some have issues up till about 6 weeks.

How much time do you think I'll be off work? (I work in an office, usually on a PC all day long.)
    As far as going to back to work that is a decision between you and your surgeon. Everyone is different and it depends on how much damage was done prior to surgery and the reason for the surgery. After my first surgery i was back to work at the 10 week mark.

If muscle spasms develop post-surgery, about when should I watch for this?

The muscle spasm started right out from surgery as i was told has a lot to do with the positioning in surgery as well and length of surgery. Sounds like you r doing very well if your not having these. Keep up the good work and welcome to spine-health. You will find a lot more post in the neck forum and members going through the same as you.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. tamtam had alot of good advice to give. :D good luck on a healthy recovery! =D> Jenny :)