Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1st day Post Op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Well I've been in and FINALLY had my lumbar microdisc op after weeks and much ado. L5 S1, its my 2nd one, other being L4. Please tell me its normal to feel like I've been hit by a bus. I feel battered and bruised they said it was successful, that they got it all away from the nerve. I'm walking very slowly struggling with picking anything up juswt taking my time though on that one! but cant seem to get comfy in bed, I cant sit for long not that we are supposed to anyway but am I ok lying down in bed? I know I've got to take it real easyh but the 1st time I had the op I felt great so relieved, a bit sore but nothing to how this feels!! it is normal???

thanks Fi

• We are in the same boat. I just had my MicroD (a redo) at L5 S1. I have been using ice pack every hour and it has helped with pain. They didn't give me any oral steroids (actually I brought this up) because I just had a second pack of Medrol few days before the 2nd surgery. No antinflammatory or antibiotics (which they don't give anyway) Just Lortab. I take one Lortab and one Tylenol to control the pain at the incision site.

Are you taking any pain pills? I was trying to take as little as possible but I remembered one of my nurses telling to me to stay on top of my pain. Don't try to chase it. After my first surgery, I was able to take less meds, but this time around I need to take them as directed to move without pain.

I lie on my couch using two great foam cushion that puts me into a zero gravity position. Mostly lying around and walking.

Can you find a grabber? It's used to pick up things off the floor? It can hold up to 5lbs.
  • Hi, I dont have a grabber but could certainly do with one as I keep dropping things seems like even more so! Im using solpodol, diclofenac thats an inflammatory and tramodol but none of them seem to be touching it! I was on all of these prior to surgery and also oramorph but cos its a controlled drug I couldnt take it home with me from hospital. I chave quite a high pain threshold but this is taking the biscuit!! Maybe I'm just expecting too much? I have been reading your threads, I'm the same always walking or lying down!!its the first night of sleep at home so im hoping I get a decent night (yeah right) anyway speak tomorrow...u take care!!thanks for reply it helps when someone else is going thru same thing!
  • Lord knows what positions they must have you in during the op. I'm now 2 days post op and can get out of bed easier and have been walking around the house doing bits and pieces but all the time well aware that I mustnt over do it, last thing I want is a 3rd microdisc op! last time I had it done my wound infected and I had to have it packed for around 6 weeks after, it was hell, my body doesnt have a good track record of healing well fingers crossed! I've cut the painkillers but still keeping on top of it but have noticed if i walk a little i do feel hot, anyone felt like this. they never gave me anti biotics at the hosp but they were pretty lousy and totally side tracked, but hey thats Great Britain for you!too many health cuts, poor overworked nurses and docs.Physio told me not to go back to work for around 6 weeks, seems a long time!
  • I would break out in cold sweats and became hot when moving around, I think it was trying to withdrawal from Lortab too quickly.

Someone else said the sweating could be from the pain.

Who knows? The second time round, I didn't get any oral steroids or any other than meds except a soft, huge ice pack.

I spoke up about the oral steroids because the were going to give it to me again, From what I remembered, being on steroids is not good for you, especially two rounds of them back to back. I knew that taking a third pack of steroids didn't seem right.

The nurse said that the dr didn't want me on any meds except pain meds. I am surprised that I didn't any an infection without any antibiotic. Perhaps they inject some during the surgery.
  • Are you struggling or feeling a lot better? Whats is Lortab? They are really choosy over what they send home with you here, like nothing at all for me in my case! i already had my solpodol and tramodol at home, good job really. I really hope this never happens again as the op was a nightmare compared to the first one! I've never seen the ice packs.
  • It has 7.5 mg of hydrocodone and 500mg of TAWAT (I think it's tylenol). i prefer hydrocodone with ibuprofen because ibuprofen does wonders for the inflammation. Since I have been taking ibuprofen almost everyday over a year, I have stop for now.

Today was another good day. My pain in right buttock was decreased by tightening my abs while log rolling. The pain the buttocks worries me a little, but it is not the lingering, throbbing, sharp pain. My lower back hurts: this is new. A little heavy feeling in the affected right leg. Twinges, pulling feeling here and there. Still......I would give today an 8 from a scale of 1 - 10.

I walked twice around the block again. No pain. Moving around makes the pain go way.

How are you???
  • I've started coming down from the medication im not on the oramorph at all now taking solpodol just as I need it I have some inflammation tabs called diclofenac even though I had them from the doc wasnt sure whether to take them if I've managed so far and all that. I have been feeling really tired and i'm trying not to push myself as I'm not one for sitting still! my appetite is slowly returning and im walking around quite a bit now, going to attempt to walk up the road to the post box today and back see how that goesI feel comfortable walking now and can sit for longer. My wound is getting a bit itchy and is sore how many days post op are you now? Do have your wound dressed or someone do it for you? Keep going and keep smiling it sounds like we could be doing ok!!
  • I am 8 days PostOp. My incision site was glue shut using Dermabond. No itching, swelling, or any other discomfort. well....sore still a bit

Like you my appetite is growing steadily. I lost 15 lbs during the 6 months of dealing with my pain. My favorite thing to eat now is peanut butter. It is too bad that I can't bringing to school because our campus is a peanut free zone. Big peanut phobics! By the same token, I do believe that some people to have extreme allergic reaction to peanut products.

I am sorry to hear that your energy level is low. Perhaps because you haven't been eating a lot or could be from anesthesia. I got my energy back on the 2nd day. Like you, I hate to be still. Stuck on the couch. I am usually out and about.

You also sound like the recovery is going well. You are doing so awesome!