Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in leg after fusion surgery

tcr1130ttcr1130 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a xlif/plif two weeks ago.... I have been having horrible horrible leg pain

it has been going on for the last couple days, but as of last night it is unbearable... I just got a script of lyrica and I have been taking flexeril for muscle pain... the flexeril isnt really doing anything to help so I
stopped taking it.

has anyone else had or going thru this after their fusion surgery.!??
what is going on with the leg!?
is there anything I can do!???

I would welcome anyones opinions, advice.... I never thought I would say this but this is a level 10 pain.. I cant imagine it any worse... it feels like a constant charlie horse around my ankle, calf, and thigh.... I cant bear it... I try to sit different, lay different... nothing makes it better.....

how long does this last after surgery!?? do I just live with it... when do you address it with a doctor.. because I cant imagine there is much they can do if its irritated nerves!?

• I had pain in my hamstrings for about a week after my operation. I walked everyday during the pain, it was better everyday. Best of luck Steve
  • My pain was worse after surgery
    Went mild from 6-12 weeks, now has returned severe again weeks 13-21. Had repeat MRI last week and now just waiting.

Steve how are you finding your Pro Disc, My DR wants to wait a few years(quoat 10yrs)to do a disc replacement on L4L5 which is 10mm centrally extruded, when the technology is better. I dont know if that means world wide or here in NZ as it seems many people are having success overseas. I am sort of excited by ADR but havent looked at the research yet. Living proof of knowledge is always good though. Thanks.
  • I am just a little more than a week post op from my 2nd revision to a transformaminal lumbar interbody fusion and had the same pain you are describing with all three surgeries. With my 1st (Feb. 2) It was a throbbing pain, mainly in my right leg. It felt like a charlie horse on steroids and I was flipping out everytime I went to the bathroom or put pressure on the back of my thigh. It got better when I walked (I was prescribed neurontin 300mg x 3 and then increased to 1200 a day. My cage slipped so I had a revision, which left me in the hospital over a week, on permanent bed rest and with severe pain in my left leg. The S1 nerve had been compressed prior to the first surgery. My 3rd op was last Monday. The pain is still lurking but not as bad. I am still on neurontin but have already started tuning my meds back so I am not so needy. No nerves are compressed at all. Keep a journal and describe what causes it and tell your doc. You might need another CT scan to see if your hardware has slipped or if a nerve is still compressed. By default, if a nerve has been compressed, it has to find its way again so to speak thus causing the throbbing pain.
  • I am four months out and have been just getting it. Inflammation has been the cause. If you are concerned, call your Dr. No one can tell you better what to do than them. Good Luck
  • my doctor mentioned there would be bad leg pain after the surgery... so i am guessing some of this is expected.. but i do have the pain like you described... there is a spot on my back thigh my calf and my ankles that would immediately charlie horse if i rubbed them up against something... rolling out of a chair or the pottie... its all touchie cause you rub against that spot where it wants to know so bad..... the leg pain is so severe i cant stand it sometimes... its worse when i sit or lay... it lessens a tiny bit when i stand.....i cant stand it

what is neurotin ??? is that like the lyrica im on i see the doctor for my two week follow up on wednesday .. i am getting my bone stimulator that day...... well im meeting with a pa... not the doctor... that seemed odd to me that the doctor isnt doing the follow up.. that his pa's are.... sounds like i wont even see the doctor anymore.. its all thru the pa's. that botthers me a lot... ive already had to go to emergency once.. and my primary once.. cause the neurosurgeons office isnt taking care of pain and complication problems.... is that normal?? is anyone else neurosurgeon doing that?? or the office doing that?????
  • well small update - am 9 weeks out from my surgery.. that electrical pain i felt has been gone for a couple weeks now... but the numbness i have in my right foot has not changed since my surgery.... i had a emg/nerve conduction.. it is showing a l4-l5 radiculopathy.... my neurosurgeon believes i have something called "rsd". I will be having am mri next week to find out what is going on. i have my second sympathetic nerve block today to try and help this problem with my foot and toes... is so weird my foot goes from either ice cold actually feeling like its frostbit or to where its burning... my husband can feel the difference in temperatur of my two feet.. occasionally the right foot swells a little at night too, and the toes i cant stand to be touched.... its the strangest feeling and i had nothing like this before the surgery.. just since..... anyone have anything like this happen to them!??
This discussion has been closed.