Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discogram question

jay911jjay911 Posts: 540
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a discogram done on Wednesday, L4-L5 and L5-S1. I went in prepared for the worst but the procedure itself wasn't as bad as the ESI's I've had done in the past! Pressurization of the discs wasn't painful, my pain really kicked in afterward. I hadn't taken any of my pain meds before the procedure, was at about a 7 on the pain scale. They gave me Versed and Fentanyl to bring me down to about a 4. After we were done I was sitting in the recovery area and they wanted me to walk. I took about 6 steps and my back pain shot up to about an 8! They gave me Vicodin and told me to take it every 4 hours. It's been high ever since. My concern is that since they didn't re-create my pain when pressurizing the discs does this mean the disc isn't the source of my pain? Or does the post-procedure pain indicate something still? I'm still at a 6 or 7 taking my pain meds every 4 hours, hope that eases soon!

• that if it was the disc that was causing the pain, I would feel the same pain when they did the discogram. I definately felt pain in 2 of my disc but there was only pressure on the unaffected one. Sorry that you are having pain now. You better go back to the doctor if the pain you are experiencing now does not get better. I am praying for you.

• If your discs are affected they will reproduce the pain when they add the pressure. I had all lumbar discs done and had intense pain in 2 and some pain in 1. The other 2 I just felt the pressure. Your pain should subside within a week. If not or gets worse, call Dr. Hope you can find the solution to your pain.
  • if you had no pain i'm jealous beacuse it sucked for me but anyway. did you have a cat scan .the first part is to see the pain the second is the ct that shows the accual disk . The first time i was told I had a tear was today I have been seeing a surgeon for 3 years . if you had a ct you can learn alot from the ct and the dye . good luck and i hope they have more answers for you when you go back.
  • It could very well mean that it's not the source of the pain. I had one done in May and pain was recreated but it was worse in my L5/S1 disc. In addition to the disc going bad, I had a pars defect, sciatica down my right leg, a grade 1 (no clue on percentage) slippage, and spondylolisthesis. I am currently one week and five days post op from my 2nd revision for a Transforaminal Lumber Interbody Fusion. When I had the discogram done, an ortho doc did it and disqualified me for a fusion. When I went to a neuro doc, he said that surgery should've never been postponed. The pain I have now is from the surgery, nothing compared to what I had.
  • Thanks for the responses everyone, I should be talking to my PM doc this week so we'll see what he says. I'm discouraged that the disc didn't make the pain. :(

On a side note, my constant back pain is a 7 now ever since I was in recovery and my meds do nothing to touch it. I'll be calling the discogram doc today about that.
This discussion has been closed.