Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone! I'm new here and just getting around to "talking" about myself. I'm a 66 yr old "gal"(lol) who lives in Arizona. I don't want to be long winded here, so I'll cut to the chase. In 2005, I had back surgery.fusion of L4/L5.The surgery went fine. I was on heavy pain killers for a long time. Finally the Dr just took me off them...boom! Yikes. Anyway, now I have discovered that I have sciatica. It hurts wayyyyyyyyy more than the pain from the back. It is awful. Anyone who has it, knows where I'm coming from. Done the whole nine yards, epidurals, nerve blocks, injections. Recently, I was on prednizone for about a month.stepping down. But I also had physio-therapy. OMG..it helped.....gave me strength which I was greatly lacking and flexibility. Right now I'm doing pretty good, but with this, ya just never know. So, that's my story. Hope I can meet some nice people here to "talk" and "share" with.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You've come to the right place to meet nice people - I don't know of any other forum that has nicer people than here at SH.

You'll find many, many people who can relate to what you're going through, offer support and just good old-fashioned friendship.

I'm glad you found something that is helping you and, as every spiney knows, enjoy the pain-free (or relatively so) days when you can get 'em because the monster can rear it's ugly head at any time.

Again, welcome and I look forward to reading your posts.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer wht questions we can. i am so glad you stopped by. :D i will be moving to the White Mountains in a few months if all goes well. <:P what area are you in? :? have you tried any nerve pain medications? i use Lyrica and it has really made a difference in my sciatic pain.. please talk to your doctor about it!! :-C good luck with your pain relief! :D Jenny :)
  • Hi - This is my first time on this site and already it's been helpful for me. I read about your problem and thought I'd share my experience....I've been suffering daily with a sciatica problem since last Aug. I've never had to endure anything close to this type of pain, ever!!! My MRI shows a severe pinched nerve L5-S1 and this is the cause of my problem. I've tried everything (Physical therapy and 2 epidural steriod injections) and nothing seems to help, so I'm scheduled for a miscrodiscectomy surgery next Tues, April 14th at Roosevelt Hospital NYC with a neurosurgeon by the name of Eric Elowitz. He's one of the best and I'm hoping for the best! It might be something worth looking into for your sciatica problem. Sometimes waiting too long can cause permanent nerve damage so if you haven't had an MRI yet it might be a good idea to get one... Good Luck
  • hi and welcome by the way..are you a redhead? the reason i ask is that redheads have a low pain threshold anyway ..{ i married one} back to the medical bit .are you taking any thing like lyrica or gabapentin? that will help with the nerve pain .also have you tried a TENS {i recommend the acticare} my main problem is back ache .i do have leg pain but that is not as bad as the back ache .before the last operation the leg pain was unbearable now its more annoying and the oxycontin takes most of it away .i would give a good TENS a try before you start taking any nerve pills as they can make you put weight on and other nasty side effects