Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

treatment of scar after ACDF

OliviaJOOliviaJ Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, anyone having any suggestion on helping the scar heal after ACDF surgery. It was recommended that I use Maderma...other ideas or is this the best? Thanks, Olivia

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey Olivia,

You will be surprised after some time how not noticable you scar will be. I am
    assuming it is horizontal that is along a crease you had pre-op. Be patient as
    with anything related to your surgery and you will do well.

Take care,
  • Yes, the incision is horizontal...I just want to do everything I can to minimize it for later on...I have to believe now is the best time to treat it...I'm almost 2 weeks post-op, thanks for your reply. Olivia
  • Hi and I welcome you here.
    I take a vit-e pill and use a toothpick and poke a whole in it and use the oil from it for the scar. When done.. stick the toothpick back in it so it does not close up and use it again two or three times. works great... for many thing.
    lots of luck...Patsy
  • I was using vitamin E, too. My surgeon told me to use Cortaid cream twice per day to reduce redness. I have been using it for about a month, and it seems better, but not the results I was hoping for. I guess in time it will look just like a white line...it's just too new at this point.
  • Olivia-
    I just had my first surgery Feb-4 but my scar looks good I think, but I'm a big believer in Vit-e for lots of things. Theirs a saying...... don't put nothing on your skin you wont put in your mouth. Now I'm not saying I live by it. but I try.
    It would be worth a try if your not getting what you want from the cream.
  • I kinda meant Amybug or who-ever.........Patsy
  • Thanks for the suggestions...I will try them...I'm just kinda obsessed about doing what I can to minimize the scar...especially with it being so new and obvious...right now it is hidden by my brace...hope you both are doing well, stay in touch, Olivia