Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My feet are on fire

lstellerllsteller Posts: 1,428
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm four and a half months post-op from a three level lumbar fusion. Therapy has been going well and I do well at most things except going up stairs. I tend to plod up them, and it takes so long to climb a flight. I doubt that I'll ever be zipping up them as I once did. Lately, my feet have been getting tingly during the day. By night time and bed time, they feel as though they are on fire and I can't go to sleep without taking a pain pill to make them STOP. The percocet usually gets them down to a dull roar so I can manage to fall asleep. In the morning, the cycle seems to start all over again and by night they are just burning. Does anyone else have this problem?

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.

• Hi Linda,

I got the tingling feeling in my legs and feet approximately 4 months after my ALIF L5/S1 but not the burning feet. My feet always feel ice cold. I would guess it is your nerves that are healing and waking up after having surgery, however, if this continues to become bothersome, please discuss this with the surgeon. Maybe they can give you some nerve meds to help or maybe you need an EMG done to see if there is any nerve damage.

Good luck and I hope your feet and legs start to feel better and that it's just from them waking up and nothering serious.
  • I actually had this problem pre-TLIF, but its only happened twice in the 3 months (almost) since surgery. Have you told your surgeon about it? In my case, it seems I have to tell them every time something happens then finally they suddenly listen, so keep bugging them until they do something! It may just be swelling, but it may be something else, so don't put it off, and bug them till they take you seriously!

• I had my PLIF Dec 11 same levels as you. I have been recently having the burning on top of my feet and once and a while on my legs. Comes and goes. I figured it was nerves as my discs were torn for 2 1/2 years prior to surgery. Have been in so much pain the last 2 weeks and so besides xray and mri, my personal Dr put me on nerve meds, Gabapentin, 300 mg 3 x day. Makes me sleepy but maybe will help with some of this.
    So I would call Dr and let them know. See what they say. Good Lick. I know this is not fun.
  • Yes, i figured I'd better call on Monday. I've had a few times of also nearly not making it to the bathroom to pee. This a bit disturbing because otherwise, I feel really good for the first time in a long time. I hope it's nothing serious.

• I have nerve pain too but I only had a 2 level Micro-d,.....so far. Ugh! I hope that you can heal over time, slowly ween off of the meds and find some peace.

Hang in there!
  • Isteller, I know your pain well. I am 9 months post-op L4, L5, and S1. Every day, especially after walking or standing I get a BURNing feeling in the top of both feet. Then, at bedtime, I feel my feet tingling. I do like you, get up and take a pain pill to get me through the night. Everybody is different, give it more time. Hope all goes well with you. Keep us updated.
  • and my right foot is on fire all the time .i have been told that there is nothing more that can be done ..it along with severe back pain wakes me up every night
  • that this just started a week or so ago. I was doing so well. The burning is actually in the bottoms of my feet. Sometimes a bit up my legs (in the back). I'm off almost all my pain meds except for having to take a pill at night so I can sleep. I did try to just take tylenol PM, but it didn't take care of it. I'll see what the doc has to say. I'm leaving for a two-week vacation on the east coast and am a bit concerned about flying now because of this.

• When one feels well last week, they tend to overdo, like extra walking, even running or dashing, or cleaning. Were you on your feet a lot? Rest it out this week and see how it goes. definitely give a call to check with the doc. When pain returns to the leg, it is usually not a good sign. I hope that this burning sensation will go away so that you can enjoy your vacation.