Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Prolapse in neck, surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone im new on here and i was just wondering if someone could give me some information. i have just come out of hospital after being in for a week with the most worst pain of my life. Had mri scan and it showed up prolapse disc c5 and c6. i dont realy no a lot about all this but ive been told i will need an operation in 2 weeks time and iw as wondering if someone could tell me what to expect and your experiances if you have had this surgery done before. The doctor said during surgery i would have some bone taken out of my leg or hip this would then be put into my neck. can anyone explain to me what this is about as i havnt been told much about any of this!
ive also heard that when the bone is taken out of the leg its worse pain than the actual surgery is this true???
Thankyou, Julie

• Hi Julie,

Welcome to spine-health. Sorry to hear you are having this problem and I understand the pain you are in. I have had the surgery. It sounds like your surgeon is suggesting a ACDF(anterior cervical discectomy and fusion). I also used my bone referred to as autograft vs using allograft(cadaver bone). Typically the bone is taken from you hip or referred to as the pelvic bone. Yes that incision is more painful than the actual neck incision itself. However, the good thing is you know it is surgery pain and will subside soon.

Here is a link to some useful information and you can see it will take you to other links as well.

Here is another link to questions to ask you spine surgeon.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to send me a pm. In my opinion I also strongly recommend getting second opinions as well. Keep us posted on how you do and once again welcome to spine-health.
  • There are a lot of links on this website that will help you to understand what they will be doing. I'm sorry for your pain and problems. There are lots of things you need to do to prepare for your surgery. Getting your house ready to come home...lots of pillows, something to help you reach things if you drop them, easy things to put on and take off are just a few. You will need some help at first. You won't be able to lift over 10lbs at first. Swallowing is hard, bendy-straws are a great help. Puddings, yoghurt, easy things to swallow. A lot of people find a recliner easier to sleep in than their bed. I didn't, but everyone is different. Depending on your surgeon you may have to wear a soft or hard collar, not everyone does. I had cadaver bone for my fusion, so I didn't have the hip pain. I know several people who have pain from their hips for years after their surgery.but again, everyone is different. Smoking can slow down fusion. Lots of things to learn, and not much time to learn them. Feel free to pm me if I can answer any other questions you might have.

• I'm sorry you're going through this. I had a 3-lvl ACDF and am very glad I did. Although I still have some ongoing muscle spasm and pain issues (not horrible), the pre-op symptoms are gone (numbness and tingling, weak left arm, elbow pain, etc.).

I could tell you all about my surgery, but your best bet is to scan around the neck pain and surgery forums. There's tons of information from people who have been through cervical spine surgery. And there are those, like me, who choose to stick around after a successful surgery to help people like you who are nervous and wondering what will happen. Of course, everyone's experience is different, but you can probably get a pretty good idea of what's ahead of you.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or just need to vent.
  • hi all just to say thankyou 4 all your help had bad day to day plus all the tabets they gave me is knocking me out iam on 5oomg gabapentin anyone had this making me ill 1oomg codeine ibuborfen 4oo all this 4 x a day i dont take tablets normaly u all have helped me i have no family so got no one talk 2 really so thank u julie x
  • Gabapentin has those side effects to the medicine. The medicine is used to help control nerve pain. Stick with it and hopefully over time the side effects will let up some. You can read more about this drug in the medication forum there is tons of post on it. Remember we are always here anytime you need a question answered, vent, cry whatever. There is also a chat, which has members in it all times of the day, from all over the world. They talk about medical issues as well as share experience and have some laughs together. Hope the meds start helping and alleviate the pain. When do you met with the surgeon? Keep us posted on how your doing. Look forward to reading more of your post.
  • thank you 4 helping me feel not alone my freinds dont understand wot iam going thro cuz they carnt see anything they think nothing is wrong all i get is o come out 4 a few drinks and u wont feel the pain now that makes me sad iam seeing doc in 3weeks as he is away now till then still trying work my way around this site hahaha me thick o thank u xj