Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Weeks Post Op and Feeling Great

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On March 20th I had 4 level ACDF with hardware on c3/4, c4/5, c5/6, and c6/7. This involved harvesting bone and marrow from the back of my hip. Doc used PEEK spacers and cages stuffed with the goo from my hip bone. The titanium plate is screwed into C3 through C7.

I could tell in recovery that my neurological problems (hand and arm numbness on both sides in various forms) were GONE. My hands felt normal and strong. My throat was sore and it was hard to swallow, but not impossible.

Surgery was Friday afternoon and I was walking around the floor on Saturday morning. Doc let me go home on Sunday morning. Sunday night was rough because I tried to sleep lying down in bed. Bad move. I made a nest sitting up on the couch and did that for two nights. 3rd night was in bed and I slept most of the way through the night before I woke up and took a Norco. At 2 weeks I am off the pain meds (Norco) and deal with the muscle soreness with tylenol. I am sleeping completely through the night, which is a big improvement from before surgery.

Even though I am still recovering from the surgery, I am more pain free now than before it.

No collar. Doc gave me a soft collar for comfort if I felt like I needed it. I tend to wear it. He said I could drive this week. No lifting more than 10 pounds, but that is really hard to remember. Truth is that I feel pretty good, but I know I have to take it easy.

The hip incision and harvest site is a non issue. I mostly forget about it. Neither incision hurts and both were steri-strip free within a week.

I am a 47 year old male, mildly overweight (6'2" 220) , non-smoker with no health issues. My disk issues were diagnosed 3 years ago and after consulting with a neurosurgeon and an ortho, I decided to try PT and other non-surgery options. Things like traction helped temporarily, but recently pain and numbness got to the point where I couldn't take it any more. I play guitar, and i was losing coordination and playing poorly. I am happy to report that my hands work much better now. My condition was not the result of an accident or injury, just crappy genetics and luck.

I read this board a lot before surgery and early in recovery, and I thought I should return to let folks know that, for me, this surgery has been a God send so far and I am VERY glad I did it. Best wishes to y'all.

• Welcome to Spine Health, Terry,

Good to hear that your surgery went well, and you are already observing positive changes. Keep up the good work, but don't forget to listen to your body, and don't overdo things. Hopefully you will be back to normal soon.

Best wishes,

• Sounds as though you've had an ideal outcome to your surgery. I hope you continue to get better and get back to feeling great. Surgery is always a scary option. but it does work for so many people.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.