Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op return of function question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had acdf (C6/7) on 3/26 and am recovering nicely from surgery. What drove me to the hospital was the inability to walk properly. I noticed weakness in my hands but was more concerned about the lack of coordination in my lower body. It really concerned me because I am a group fitness instructor and was no longer able to propel myself forward or dance! I had no idea that my spinal cord was compressed for 3 weeks before surgery. My question is: has anyone else experienced this lack of coordination and did it resolve after surgery? I know it is not even 2 weeks post surgery but I am curious if my function will improve. I noticed that I walk better now but still have problems with foot placement and balance.

• Hi friendlyface. Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm not even close to being a doctor, but I do know that nerves can take a long time to heal. You're very, very early in your recovery and need to be patient.

Of course, it's always a good idea to talk to your surgeon or PA when you're not sure about something.

Good luck on your road to recovery. Follow doc's orders and NO BLT! :-)
  • HI,
    I welcome you Here,
    You sound just like me 3 years ago.
    But long story short finally had surgery Feb 4th.
    Your truly blessed you caught it early and great chances to be okay(opinion)if cord was not compressed to long better outcome. p.m. if you'd like, always there to help Patsy
  • not cervical problems, but was having trouble walking, i.e., leg buckling out from under me when walking even short distances. I've had some mild nerve problems (by comparison) since surgery, but no more buckling and no more severe lightning bolts of pain. Hopefully, they got your spinal cord decompressed early enough that you'll get all your function back. Nerves do take a long time to heal, so try to be patient with it.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thanks so much for your comments. I will try to be more patient during my recovery. :)))