Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Concerned Diagnosis CHRONIC PAIN

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Good morning...I'm new to this site (Luv it) and need some support. I've been seen by a Neurosurgeon 3/30/09 that has "recommended" Cervical Decompressive Laminectomy at C4 through C7.. I'm diagnosed with having "Cervical Spinal Stenosis due to Spondylosis at C4-5, C5-6 and disc herniation at C6-7". I've had Chronic,horrible Neck pain (mostly on left side ) for over 6mnths..( I thought Chiropratic would work first. "NOT". Made it Worse). This all began around October 08, finally decided I had enough) of NO FREAKING SLEEP!! (2-3hrs tops if that!! Unbearable Pain (9-10,by now)no over the counter meds helped & went to the Dr.(Primary) in Jan 09 due to the numbness and tingling, burning sensation & Amazing muscle spasms in my left arm/hand and Fire burning pain R hand (Middle mostly) finger tips. He's watching my muscle spasms with amazment looks at me and say's ("That's Not Good") Scolded me for waiting so long and promptly(next day) had me get an MRI which(showed disc degeneratin,fluid stuff not there, verts pinching and no gaps between verts "Really Bad Ass" looking #$%$#)Gave me low grade pain me and referred me to the Physical Medical & Rehabilitation (Spinal Med)DR.. Well DR gave me stronger pain meds (that only take the edge off but it's a hell of alot better than without them) and I was More than Willing to have a cortisone injection in L side of Neck to see if it would help relieve the Chronic Pain,tingling,burning & spasms I've been having (It's making me Crazy by now,loosing time from work (Thank GOD I still have a job)daily chores,not to mention my Husband was really starting to get worried. Yeahhh ME TOO!!!!)Anyway had that done (injection)Feb 09. Helped quite a bit (still 5-6 bad/good day 2-3) and the tingling was gone.Yeah! Now starting to notice Lower & Mid Back pain 4-5 DR says it's due to all my muscles trying to adjust/assist Neck muscles to help relieve/protect my neck (Well I wish they'd stop trying to help cause it FREAKING HURTS!) Dr also does his own Nerve Testing in his office (Yeah! was getting tired of "Go here-go, there crap") No Nerve damage!!YEAHHHHH!!! (Still Feb 09). Dr tells me I'm one in a million that this would happen to. "Disc Degeneration disease" befor it's time."I'm 40 yrs old, 135lbs, One beautiful 9yr old son" and I have NEVER, EVER,quote "THANK GOD"(Knock on Wood,four leaf clover and prayer) That I have NEVER,NEVER been in a car wreck, No neck injuries, what so ever. "Except", when I was 9-10 yrs I fell off a hammock and had to wear a neck brace for a few days. THAT'S IT!!!! no major trauma to my neck period... So DR tells me he didn't think that it was nessasary(sp)at this time to see a Neurologist!He's the DR so Okay!! So DR tells me he'd refill my perscriptions when ever I needed them .. (I'm on Fentanyl pain patch 25mcg/h & 5/500 hydrocode).. Like I said earlier it "only takes the edge off and makes the pain more tollerable(sp)and to come back in 2 months and we will see how thing's are then. Cool, OKAY I understand things get worse befor they get better/heal I'm OKAY with that!Follow up made for 4/3/09.Coming into mid March .. Chronic FREAKING Pain has decided to move over to the right side of the neck and start numbness,spasms & tingling down right arm..(Still, having the burning R finger tips since injection) Mid & Lower back are Now FREAKING Chronic and I'm starting to walk funny.."Right lower back/hip the worst" My legs are heavy and I feel like I'm weary cement shoes) Called to see if I could get in sooner, cause the pain is out of control NO FREAKING SLEEP!! BECAUSE THE PAIN IS WORSE AT NIGHT AND I'M CRYING ALL THE TIME TO RELIEVE THE STRESS THIS IS CAUSING ME AND MY FAMILY,DAY to DAY CHORES,MY JOB/ WORK!! (THANK GOD! I HAVE AN AWESOME BOSS & AWESOME COMPANY/ASSOCIATES THAT HAVE BEEN SUPPORTIVE FOR ME TO DO WHAT I NEED TO FIX/EASE MY PAIN) AND MY SEX LIFE!!(15yrs married Yeah!) ARE STARTING TO BECOME AFFECTED AND THAT'S PISSING ME OFF!!!So I get in 3/23/09. YEAH! DR walks in looks at me and says Wow! "Wow freaking what" I now have "Muscle Atrophy"begining in my left arm.. "That's just %$%#$% GREAT !!!" Wants to do another nerve test(Free of charge he says poke/stick of the probes/needle) Remember he does his own testing....WELL THAT'S FREAKING AWESOME!!!!! I NOW HAVE NERVE DAMAGE IN MY LEFT ARM TOO!!!! DR says I'm so sorry I don't understand this! We need to get you to the Neurologist ASAP."Okay,,,,thinking to myself I know things get worse before better but this %$#@# ISN'T FREAKING FUNNY ANYMORE. IT'S SERIOUS $#@$#!!!!"....Soonest appt, March 30th "my 41st birthday". Well, what can I say!!!! the diagnosise(sp) at the beginning of my Story is what I'm told."RECOMMEND CERVICAL DECOMPRESSIVE LAMINECTOMY AT C4 THROUGH C7" and that this is probably/only going to make things tollerable for the rest of my years. Drawbacks, may not work at all ,could make it worse and somewhere in the conversation I heard "possible paralization". I have a second consult with the MD on 4/22/09 so my Husband can hear & ask the questions I didn't/couldn't (I was crying and dumbfounded/shocked) due to knowing I'm not going to get the pain to go away..just enough to make life bearable, it's with me for life. In the mean time,DR upped my Fentynal dose to 50mcg/h, and have appt with DR 4/15/09 Before the 2nd consult. Where, I'm going to insist on having MRI done on my Whole Spine to see what else is going on with my "Mid & Lower Chronic Back Pain" since niether of them has recommended they take a look at it.. I'm also going to see if I can have another cortisone injection on the R side of neck to see if I can get some relief until I'm done with all my consults (do any of you think 3 would be plenty)? I'm hoping there is someone else experiencing(sp) the same symptoms and what you have been trying to help relieve your pain..WOW!!! this has been very theraputic writting all this down.. I have to keep myself positive. I know I've been taking care of myself and that this ("to shall pass") will eventually be under control.Of course,"Depending on the medical procedures I choose".
Well I've up since 4:00am gettin tired. I feel so much better. Thank you for caring enough to read my story.. It means alot knowing there are still some of us out there that are Willing to be Unselfish and give their precious time to unconditionally support a stranger.. God Bless.. Any advise would be very much welcomed. I'll keep you posted...Thanks again

Trish C

• Trish,
    Welcome to Spine-Health. I am so glad you found our community and that you have chose to share your situation and frustrations with us.

I am so sorry to hear of everything you are going through. I can understand your frustrations, fears and pains you are going through. Although, (knock on wood) I haven't had any major problems with my neck area, I do experience severe chronic pain in the lumbar and now moving into thoracic area. I also suffer from muscle spasms and numbness and tingling in my legs and feet.

It is so frustrating to wait weeks sometimes months to get an appt to even see a doc and then it takes more weeks to get tests done and more weeks to get appt to go over results. All the days, hours and minutes that lapse between the appts we still have lives, families and some of jobs to take care of. The simplest things become major obstacles for us. Just putting a load of wet clothes from washer into dryer can cause flare ups and we still have to sweep, mop, vacuum, do dishes, fold the laudry and put it away....not to mention all the needs of our children and the list goes on and on. It's not like we just sit here and do nothing and wait for out next appt.

Life must go on whether we are in pain or not. Us chronic pain sufferers have to decide how we are going to handle this situation we now face. This takes a huge emotional toll on all of us. I am so glad you typed out your frustrations and hope that it helps to get it all out. I know at times it seems to help me since noone in my home seems to quite understand how I feel.

It may help to print your post out and show this to the doctor so he can get a true sense of how you feel everyday. Please feel free to PM with any questions, comments or to just vent. There is such of wealth of information on this site and such a great support group too.
  • Hello and Welcome to Spine Health,
    I read your story and you have my support.I hope you get some answers on 4-15 and please keep us updated.
    P.M. if you need someone to talk to.....Patsy
  • welcome to the site .i can understand the no sleeping i only get 3 hours max too .my problem is lumber but i also have thoracic outlet syndrome that is problems in a similar area to your pain .in the neck and shoulder ans down the arms and hands .so i know what you are going through have you tried the acticare unit ?i us=e mine every day and it helps .the acticare is the only TENS that you can use on your spine ,as it is also an external spinal cord stimulator .with a try