Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leg and foot numbness after lami surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I went in Aug 08 with paralysis of my left leg and severe pain of my lower back. First trip to emergency room told me it was syatica and given hydrocode went back the next day and after a ct scan they admitted me next afte a myleogram since I couldnt stand the closed MRI they found that I had ruptured a disk and I had the lami surgery a month later the neuro doc said I was healing good and I would need to get up to walking a mile a day. It is now 8 months later and since my original neuro doc is not on my insurance I went to another doc with the symptoms of still having numbness in my left leg and every so often a shooting pain down that leg usually after I workout more. I am walking on the treadmill at least twice a week anywhere from 1- 1.5 miles the new doc had me get a new xray and an open mri and on the followup visit said he did not see anything to indicate surgery he did suggest possible an mmg for nerve damage and possible neropathy but I never had the pain before the rupture or the numbness. I am really starting to feel alone with this and am unsure about what to do next. I just want to be pain free and be able to walk normal w/o thinking about it.

• Hi Phildonkc, welcome to SH.

I learned that open MRI is not as cleared as closed up MRI (I read that in a book written by a spine doctor). I didn't have lami, but fusion, and after some months, I got extreme numbness on the foot. Surgeon found scar tissues. Scar tissues could presents itself in the surgical area, and then irritating the nerves. Ask your doctor if he sees that. Walking help stretch out the scar tissues, so it is safe and good to keep walking.

• My complicated journey started out like you after a "simple" Lami. I woke up with a numb and painful leg/foot. Unfortunately, mine had re-herniated while they moved me off the operating room table and they all thought the pain was just surgery pain. It takes a long time - an inch a month- for nerves to grow once messed with and so hopefully since you are only eight months out you have a while longer for the healing to happen. I never realized they have to grow the length of the nerve.
    Trying to figure out if a nerve is damaged or it just hasn't healed or scar tissue is involved in all of this, will be one of your toughest challenges and you will need a physician who is willing to work with you. Maybe you need another opinion. After all it is your body and your pain. They don't get the pain so don't give up.