Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello! Failed ADR Surgery at two levels

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hit by a drunk driver a few years ago..tried everything, disks were ruptured open, had ADR surgery a year ago...I'm in more pain now than I EVER was. Anyways, I joined the forums to find out if other people were in the same boat as me regarding this type of surgery, and possibly (maybe, maybe) finding out if there's any fix to this or some sort of miracle worker out there who can help. I can't see living my life like this, and I guess I can't really accept it either.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi mickyt,

I know of someone who had a failed ADR and there doc ended up doing a fusion on them. Maybe you can ask your doc if you can have a fusion. Hope you feel better soon.

Kate
  • I have to go in for another CT scan. I have appointments scheduled, and am planning on getting AT LEAST three opinions. For those considering artificial disk replacement, I was supposedly a prime candidate, and it screwed me up to a point where I deeply, deeply regret having the surgery done at all. I had to take painkillers prior to the surgery, but to think that I have to take them AFTERWARD was a revolting discovery.

Well, I figured there might be some people here who have been there done that (along with me), and I've had enough of it all. I feel like this ADR is being touted, and I've heard so many success stories, but I'm guessing if you get the wrong surgeon, a nightmare can develop (outside of the one you were living prior to surgery).

The support is greatly appreciated.
  • hi and welcome to th forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so sorry to read of your accident and failed surgery. :''( perhaps being around others in pain as you are will bring you some comfort. :D good luck as you seek pain relief! Jenny :)
  • I'm sorry you're going through all of this. Is your issue cervical, lumbar or thoracic?

There are many people here (myself included) who have to continue taking meds after surgery. Even though my surgery is a success story, I continue to have pain and muscle spasms.

You are so right about having the right surgeon - you have to have 100% confidence in your surgeon. I never got a second opinion after I saw my surgeon because I just knew he was the one and, thank God, I was right. You're very, very smart to get a few opinions considering you've lost faith in your surgeon (with good reason it sounds like).

Take care and keep us posted.
    Cath
  • Misery makes good company...lol!

I have a herniated disk in my neck which I do NOT want to have surgery on at this point (considering).

Two lower lumbar disks were removed and replaced with the prodisc. I'm in more pain than I ever was..back popping, pain through both legs..can hardly do anything for more than an hour without having to succumb to this. I wake up every morning struggling to get out of bed. When a surgeon looks you in the eye and says, "You're going to be out of pain," you want to believe it so badly and can get drawn into his confidence. I was referred to him by an excellent physician, so I really had a lot of trust that was broken. Anyways, hopefully, this will be resolved at some point. I was always an active person, and this just kills me to be like this. I'm sure the majority here understand this.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. What I would like to say is that we all go into this hoping for the best, some of us get it, 90% percent of the ones who do get the best go away. we neevr hear from them, they are healed and good and anxious to get on with their lives. Most of the rest of us just keep on trying, we have to keep looking, perhaps under that next rock?

Anyway, don't spend to much time why meing yourself, you thought you had a handle on what was being done and it seemed to be the answer. So you did it, you agreed. Now you are where you are so find a new answer, or at least keep asking the questions! You sound like you need some time, use it to find a newer fresher set of eyes or a different type of pain medication to try. Perhaps explore whether your pain is indeed a result of the ADR surgery or is is something else? Perhaps aggravated by the ADRs being in place?

I don't have any real answers, I am just rolling around in a sea of depression, burned out by the return to work after a good vacation. Anyway, you may have a wait till you see an answer that sounds right, you may need to submit to some testing. I hope you can find some answers and help here. We understand.
  • Hello Mickyt,

I have had to an ADR at L45 and have given me a lot of trouble. See my post:
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/adr-causes-instability-and-more-pain
    The ADR is removed with all the risks, it even almost cost my life, and now I am still not recovered from my fusion which have to be revised.

Regards, Renos
advertisement