Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No surgery because depressed? HELP please

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in Depression and Coping
I have had 2 surgeries in 2008. Neck and shoulder. Neck went great seemed to heal fine. Shoulder, well I thought things were going great, but I ended up with frozen shoulder. I am fighting this consent pain, my shoulder has been like this now for 7 months, with small improvements. My OS said there are 2 things left to do, Surgery to release the scar tissue or leave with it. I told him, as much as I hate having to go through all the pain again, that I wanted surgery. My OS said he felt I could live with the loss ROM and get on with my life. And denied me surgery. WHAT??? I couldn't believe this...
I need my shoulder to work and my arm to reach as high as the other one, and also to reach behind my back again. I wanted to be able to do outside activities, ride a bike, but the way the arm is, I CAN'T!! I had tears as I was telling him this is not the way I want to live the next 50+ years I hope I have left. I thought he understood what I said....He told me he didn't feel I was in the right emtional state to have another surgery. He felt it would fail again. I was dumbfounded...How could he tell me that? I had an ACDF 2 levels and rotator cuff surgery within 6 months of each other, now I am depressed or show my heart. Has anyone else run into this? I did find another doctor for a second opinion, but my OS that quit me, said no other OS would go against his recommendation. I should of asked him what God's # was. Has anyone else here been refused surgery, because of being in chronic pain for the last 2,3,4 years?
I really need advise, for my second opinion is coming up soon. After the second opionion, if this other doctor agrees I am S**t out of luck, and will have to live with this. Please help! O, I have never been on meds for depression or felt I needed them...
Justme
advertisement

Comments

• It's unusual your Dr said 2 options 1. surgery and 2. leave it alone. Why would he give the option if he won't do it. I would look for another Ortho. I had arthroscopic surgery for a subluxated shoulder after no relief after two cortisone shots. I had hurt my shoulder lifting someone in 1992 and had surgery a couple of years after the injury. The Dr said it was bursitis and he cleaned it up and put more steroids and anesthesia. I then had physio after with ultrasound and myofascial release. I haven't had any problems since surgery. I know it's not the same frozen shoulder but arthroscopic surgery worked for me. I hope another Ortho can help you.Good luck with your 2nd Ortho opinion. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • JustMe said:
    I did find another doctor for a second opinion, but my OS that quit me, said no other OS would go against his recommendation.
    It sounds like he has some control issues. However, you have the right to a second opinion, third opinion... as many opinions as you need until you get the treatment you deserve.

I am real sorry that doctor treated you like that. It was a blessing because you really don't want someone like that taking care of you. People like that sap your strength.
  • You can also fire your doc and hire another one...!
    You always have a choice and a doctor cannot tell you otherwise!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
    1- Why has your current doctor refused surgery? What is the rationale for this decision. Your statement that the doctor made that right now you were not in a good emotional state to undergo surgery. If that is the only rationale, then it could be understandable that right now, surgery is not an option, but in a while, yes. But I am not getting that feeling from reading your post.

2- If your doctor flat our refuses, you should see a second and if necessary third opinion. Considering that the first doctor says NO to surgery, then I would want to more doctors saying YES. If additional doctors say NO, again, you need to get their rationale.

A doctor does not have the right , legally or morally to tell other doctors that a patient is NOT a candidate for surgery. When you see another doctor, you are going there for their opinion, not something a previous doctor stated.

The only time I have head of scenarios like this is when the doctor feels that a person is not fit for surgery, providing all the details, medically, physically and emotionally. In those cases, I could see the doctor on the second opinion contacting the first doctor to understand whats going on.

Bottom line, you have the right to know why a doctor or set of doctors refuses to perform surgery on you. You might not agree with their findings, but at least you have something concrete to go on.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I would see another doctor. You don't have to tell them what he said and you don't have to tell him who you are seeing. Just say you want to see what they would do for you.

If depression is a problem then a doctor to treat that should have been recommended.

Sounds like your original dr has control issues. Fire him and find somebody that listens to you and will help you. If you have a good PCP maybe they can help you find another doctor.

*****HUGS****** Hope you get some help soon.
  • Thanks Charry, webmommy, jim, eajoseph,and papa ron for writing back.
    I feel the wc is behind a lot of this decision. I have been away from work for over 3 years now. The doctors look at this, and wonder why so long. I had to fight for my rights the first 2 years, when nothing was going on, only waiting for trials and court dates. I was told by my OS that he doesn't feel I am emotionally ready for another surgery. And if he done another one, he feels we would have the same outcome. Does he feel I wasn't positive enough to get better??? I don't know. But he has always been a throne in my side, just very bad bedmanners. I wanted to get a second opinion before Christmas, but my WC nurse thought we should stay with the same doctor since he did the surgery. But when he was telling me I wasn't excerising the shoulder enough, and it was my fault, and that he was frustered. I think he was more worried about a failed surgery on his watch, than trying to help me. After about 5 months, he did finally tell me, that sometimes frozen shoulder just happens...NO DUH! Like anyone is just going to let there shoulder waste away. I have tried my hardest, I want to do so much now with spring here and the weather getting nicer.
    I am trying to get myself in a clear mind, and have a list of questions to ask. If this comes out a no, the insurance will be setting up a functional capacity test and I will be at MMI. This is sad, for I know there are things the doctors can still do...
    Justme
  • Justme, I'm confused at what your doctor is telling you too!

I'd run to a second opinion to find out what is truly going on here. Frozen shoulder is a known condition and while you may not want to hear this nonsurgical treatment is common. Very often it is simply recomended to do NOTHING. The shoulder will simply slowly loosen up and start funtioning again from what I gather, a close family friend tore her rotator cuff, had surgery, PT and her shoulder slowly froze even though she too was doing everything they told her to do. The options were dicussed with her and she chose to simply wait and it is indeed slowly gaining ROM and more normal function. She see her OS monthly and he checks ROM etc,

If your in a similar condition this may be why your doctor is refusing surgery now? Maybe WC is driving the non surgery route? Anyway you look at it, you deserve a better explanation as to what is going on with your shoulder. Get that second opinion!
  • I gather this is a work comp related problem. If so, I can identify with the problem you are having. Hopefully, you have a lawyer.
    WC is famous for doing things that are NOT in the best intrest of the patient. I was injured at work abour 2 1/2 years ago and 3 months after the injury doctors started recommending a spinal cord stimulator for the pain. I finally got it last month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you will PM me your email addy I will send you a "story" that I am working on to lobby in my state for better coverage, better wages, and other things that are happening here in Kansas.

Please dont be afraid to get some meds for depression. They will help but what most people do not understand or are not told is that many times it takes 3-4 weeks for those meds to work and the person to notice a difference. So if you get them be patient.

Feel free to PM me anytime you have questions. I have enjoyed the merry-go-round from work comp for over 2 years and still fighting with them about some things. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Jacque
  • Has your "perfect and all wonderful" ;) doctor gotten you into physical therapy? A good physical therapist might be able to help you by using many different approaches.

I would also tell the WC nurse how this doctor is treating you, personality wise too. If you are seeing a doctor that you don't like that won't help anything.

Good luck. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
advertisement