Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Deep Ultrasound portable massagers, dangerous?

lynnsyllynnsy Posts: 197
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 1 year, 1 month post from my 3 level spinal fusion. I no longer go to PT, as I felt she had taught me all excersises and I do them everyday, (not to mention the drive down the mountain and the cost started being a pain!). I have also retrieved a few new excersises from this web-site for someone at my stage of recovery that are wonderful! BUT, there is one thing that I really miss that she use to do to me at the end of our sessions. It was the deep massage from the heated Ultrasound thing. It was absolute HEAVEN(I also received my "Tens Unit" that I still wear when I have a lot to do, shopping etc. down in the city)

My question is: I found that you can purchase one of the Ultrasound portable massagers on-line!! I've already researched that I should stay at 1MZ as for size, as it penetrates about 2". But the price is affordable. I do know how she did it, going around in circles, not leaving it in one place, and only using it for about 10 minutes. These portable ones come with instructions, and I would follow completely.

Now would this be safe to use with someone like me around my 6" titanium rods and 6 screws? Just keep it moving right? I just really think this would help me alot on these CRAZY "barometer up, barometer down" weeks here in Colorado. I want to hear from you-all before I purchase one.

• 1 Mhz goes down 4", and 2Mhz goes down 2". I know our fusions are deeper than we realize, so maybe I should purchase the one that penetrates 4"?
  • Could you call your PT and ask her about it? I was looking at one last night online and it struck me that this type of product was not available to the general public in the past. The one I saw wasn't that expensive and it looked very tempting!

I would think that 4" would almost be on the interior side of your fusion. Why don't you stand sideways to a mirror with a ruler and see how deep your body actually is? Think how easily a massage therapist can feel the bony process of your spine.

Anyway, I guess I would call someone, either PT or maybe your surgeon's nurse or PA and run it by them. I can't think it would cause harm, but you want to be sure.
  • I spoke to my PT and my Neurosurgeon, and they both gave me the go-ahead to get the 1MHz one. But my PT wants me to come in so she can show me how to use it properly (it comes with instructions, but I think it would be better if she would show me how) I guess you can burn your skin with it if you don't keep it moving, and DO NOT go over 10-12 minutes. So YEAH!!! Now I'll have my Tens Unit and a Ultrasound massager. Ya know, we can use that massager for tense muscles in our necks, shoulders, etc... Plus there's heat in it.

Anything to stay away from pain pills!! I just know when I do go into PT, she uses it for about 10 minutes on me at the end of our session, and I feel like a million bucks for a while,... so I'm going to get one.
  • I also want some PT devices!! In particular - a Hydrocolator - the one from www.chattanoogachiropractictables.com looks really good (but pricey- maybe Ebay...)

I have my tens unit, but it just doesn't cut it compared to the moist heat (the electric hot pad is NOT the same at all!) and e-stim I get at PT - but at 250$ plus per PT visit - well, I'm not going to be affording THAT for very much longer. I think I'll be purchasing some more things too :) Good to know about the deep ultrasound.

• Has your PT or DR said whether or not H Wave would help? It is different from a TENS and E-stim. From what my PT told me, the H Wave is primarily targeted for people that have radiculopothy in the legs from spinal conditions.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Are you talking to me? What is H-wave? And I have spoke with my NS and PT, and they both said that a "Ultrasound devise" would be fine, but to just go in to my PT to get full instruction on how to use it, and to only purchase a 1MHz one, it goes down 4", and that it would releive that dull achey throbbing pain.
  • As it was explained to me, the H wave is similar to other portable devices like a TENS unit that uses radio frequencies to relieve conditions. However, because it uses a different form of wavelength as compared to other devices, it works pretty well for people that have sciatica type symptoms.

Do a google (yahoo, MSN, doesn't matter who) search for H Wave and read the info. My PT recommended it, but my WC company didn't want to go that way at first.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2