Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When back fuses, does pain lessen?

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I recently read an article that stated back pain typically decreases once fusion is complete. I could kick myself that I didn't bookmark the article because I can't find it now.

Has anyone heard anything like that? The article didn't state that pain went completely away but did say that after the bone completely fused, usually around 6 mos to a year, the pain lessened. Anybody hear anything similar to this or had a similar result?

• Kathy - We've been told the same thing. Chris is now 1 year out and still in pain. At the Nov CT he was not fused and there was not as much bone growth as the OS expected to see. We got a bone stimulator at the beginning of the year. Now that he's one year out and has used the bone stim for 90 days he'll get another CT next week and then we should know whether or not there is any progress. We've been waiting a long time for him to fuse since it was a necessary but not suffcient requirement for the pain to go away.

Has the local weather been driving your back crazy? I love all of the flowering trees and shrubs!

• I am 2 years out from a 5 level fusion and I can say my pain level has decreased.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • I guess that is true. I had a fusion in Jan '08 and this past Jan I had a smaller surgery to ream out a foramen. My surgeon told me the second surgery would be much easier because it was considered a bloodless surgery and it would not involve having to cut into bone which was much more painful.

I haven't noticed any difference in pain levels from pre and post fusion...but then I never really felt any pain at the site of the fusion. I could bend backward and to the side without any pain at my 3 week check-up.

What kind of pain are you talking about? At the incision or something else, like sciatic pain?
  • :H No one told me but it did work for me, it's been over a year and I hardly have back pain unless I do something I'm not supposed to! :S I feel so blessed to be feeling better! O:)

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.