Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cauda equina syndrome?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
This is a bit embarrassing, but it concerned me. This morning I had a regular bowel movement, but about 10 minutes later as I was in the kitchen, I wet myself. Not a lot, but enough to freak me out. I just felt urine slowly dribbling out for about 5 seconds. I when I tried to stop it, I couldn't seem to. But now several hours later and a couple normal urinations later, all is well. I went for a post surgery contrast mri last thursday, and I see and go over the results with my doctor 2 days from now. Should I be concerned? Like I said, all is fine now but I've never had that happen to me before. Any feedback from those in the know would help. Thanks.

• Call your doc now and that's all there is to it. Call now, end of story.
  • Yes, this is an emergency...call Dr ASAP.
  • I am not sure how this works, but I am responding to "Craig" the first person that wrote asking for help in this posting or beginning of a Forum. As I said, I am a neophyte to this whole genre.

Craig, I just read about cauda equina syndrome. When it begins to occur it generally is an indicator that some nerve damage has begun. Nerves may never grow back, and if they do it is at the speed of a slug. (very slow to regenerate, if at all). Your age would indicate that there should not be any narrowing of the spinal canal as in lower lumbar stenosis, but I am not a doctor.

I sort of feel like I am having the same problem, Craig, but it also could be brought on by medications such as pain medication and muscle relaxants; but you did not mention taking meds in your post. I wish you luck, and if your diagnosis is cauda equina syndrome, it is better than many other diagnosis.

Most Sincerely,
  • I am also responding to Craig, but really have no idea how to do so!

I would like to talk to someone who has had Cauda Equina Syndrome surgery since it looks as if I might be getting it pretty darn quickly!

I have searched this site under "CES" and I can't find any description of exactly what they went through for the surgery. It seems as if it did not work in a lot of cases which is a concern.

What was the "down time?" How long is the surgery? Pain afterwards? A feeling of relief? I am not frightened of "surgery"; just want to know what is involved in CES operation.

This discussion has been closed.