Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WEAK no stamina/strength after too many surgeries. Any suggestions?

VickiVVicki Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After a fusion Nov 20,08, barely recovered- I took a spasm/fall breaking my back (L3)on Jan 27th. Then having a Balloon Kyphoplasty to put in bone cement and fix the darn thing after suffering for 9 weeks before I opted for the repair last Thursday the 2nd of April.I am literally turning into a little old lady, and I'm a young 56.I have no stamina to do too much of anything. I go out- do one thing and my knees feel like their going to buckle, along with the rest of me. PT should start w/in the month. I NEED to regain some stamina. ANYONE have any suggestions what to do to start off slow doing something to restore some strength?? I am feeling pretty well now.I truly need some advice.

• Are you eating healthy? Are you getting enough fruits, vegetables, water and protien? Just eating healthier can help to make you feel better and have more energy. Do you take daily vitamins? That may be something you could look into if it's ok with your doc. Have you had bloodwork done? Maybe you have low iron or are you anemic?

I would think that having those surgeries in such a short period of time takes a toll on your body. I know how much 1 surgery kicked my butt and I can't imagine having more. Maybe it's the anesthia in your system still that's bringing you down. Your body needs the extra rest to be able to fight to repair itself after all those surgeries.

I pray that you will start to feel better soon. Once you start PT, you may start to gain some energy from the exercise. If this lack of stamina continues to be bothersome, please don't hesitate to contact your surgeon.

• of you ..i am 18 months post surgery and still struggling to get through the day {only sleep for 3 hours }my advice to you is rest when you can and eat well as ming suggest .you will find it tough for a long time as back surgery is one of the hardest thing to recover from .good luck
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi Vicky,
    What drugs are you on now? It really hasn't been that long since your surgeries. I would take it slow. Vitamin B-12 seemed to help me. are you doing any physical therapy or walking? Your pain level and depression can also effect your stamina.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I would definitely have your iron and thyroid levels checked.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    I love reading about young members in their 50's. I can so relate, even though the next big number will soon be approaching.
    When you have had one spinal surgery and have been through the recovery period, being it 3 months or 12 months, you then have to start to regain strength and endurance.
    When you have had more than one spinal surgery, it just takes that much more to reach the level that you want to.
    As long as you hold realistic objectives for yourself and where you would like to be, it can be done. Its a lot of hard work, a lot of disappointments, many times wanting to forget the whole thing, but if you can emotionally stay the course, the physical part will follow.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Vicki,

More than 11 months after a very successful lumbar fusion I still find that I am lacking the stamina I hoped to have by now. On the other hand I don't have any of my previous symptoms, plus I find that just a couple of minutes rest does the trick. So what seems to work the best is spacing my activities and take short rests before I feel really tired. And remember, surgery is major trauma for the body and you need time (sometime long time) to regain your previous strength.

Good luck, and patience!

• I also had severe stamina issues. I used a walker - just like a litle old lady so that if my knees did buckle I wouldn't hurt my back. I was on the walker a good 3 months. I tried to get out every day with the walker and early on twice a day. I started counting driveways. The first milestone was getting to the end of my driveway, then to my mailbox, then to my neighbor's driveway, etc. I live in a typical suburban development - we don't have long driveways. It has taken me a year but I can now walk 2-4 miles and I feel good.