Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cant't take the pressure

backpainzzbbackpainzz Posts: 116
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I chickened out of fusion in Dec 08, but now the pain is unbearable, I am currently taking norco 10/325 4x a day along with IBU 800, and occasionaly flexeral. For the past couple of weeks I can't take the pressure of my jeans,(I wear low riders) or slacks on my lower spine...But I feel I need to keep my arm behind my back (just above my waist area)for support does this make since? Anyone else like this? I use ice packs, and then soak for short periods in the hot tub. I sure hope fusion takes my pain away. Thanks Rose

• Have you discussed artificial disc replacement with your surgeon?

I am in a similar position as it always hurts and when I do basic things that should be fine I end up all jacked up (as my wife calls it). Percocet seems to help but makes me a little fuzzy. I am scheduled for a hybrid in July but I am pushing for a 2-level ADR because I have the same issues worrying about fusion.
  • Does your lumbar feel unsupported or heavy? I am asking because I get this a lot now and I also got it before surgery. Have you tried wearing a lumbar support back brace? I wonder if this may help with the lack of support you are feeling.

I agree with the previous post regarding ADR. Has your surgeon talked about this? If not ask if this is something you could look into. It all depends on your insurance too. Some insurances will not cover this as it is still considered investigational/experimental in the US even though it's been approved by the FDA and has been used for at least 10 years.

Whatever surgery you decide to have, please be sure you do all your research and look at the pros and cons. If you feel uncomfortable with this surgeon you have and are unsure what to do, you should get another opinion from another surgeon not affiliated with that practice.
  • I have to wear comfortable clothes since I've had my surgeries. If I do wear jeans, they are a comfortable fit and has spandex. I can't stand anything tight near my incision area, so I kissed my low rider jeans goodbye.
  • I had wondered about the disc replacement, and the surgeon just said well fuse and your pain will be gone... see why I chickened out? I am going to see a differant neuro in a differant city, and I will deffintly ask about ADR. Yes I do recently feel it needs support, a put on a binder, but the pressure made me very uncomfortable, even loose, and it caused more pain down my leg. My jeans arnt tight, but w/w out a belt it get uncomfortable, even knit stretch pants with elastic is bothersome, thankheavens were getting into summer, and I have knit shorts w/a wide band, I can still wear as a low rider, so nothing touches my lower spine. I do have a memory foam topper, I do use a back support in the van. thank you for your answers, every little bit of info helps. Rose
  • tight fitting clothing because i carnt stand anything on my scar so i wear baggy shorts and tee shirts not very fashionable but comfy also i carnt stand anything on my right leg because it feels like it is crushing my leg and it just feels wet and crawly..yuk
  • I also can't wear jeans or anything tight on my stomach because it still irritates my scar from the incision on my stomach. My fusion was done through my stomach.

Rose, you said you have a mattress topper. Does that seem to make you more comfortable? I was looking into getting one.

• Yes it its like heaven, it is memory foam, I bought it at Sams club for around $190.00 king size, walmart has them for a round the same price. It takes so much pressure off my spine, I prefur to use the side with the 2 inch wedges, using the flat side is too firm and kills my back. Rose