Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds Not Lasting Long Enough?

JwriterJJwriter Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello All -

My situation is that for ONLY 6 days now, I've been taking Percocet 5/325mg (up to 4 X's daily) as prescribed for my chronic pain issues. Having said that, I've not taken more than 2.5 tabs in any 24 hour period, yet the pain relieving affect (which is 20 to 30% at best) is lasting for less than 4 hours now per dose...when originally they worked for close to 7 hours.

My question is, would it be normal for the duration in which they last to be lessening after only 6 days of use, especially when taking such a low dose to boot??

I'm not taking any other meds in conjunction with the Percocets, and for the previous 3 weeks I had been taking Vicodin 5/500's that did very little to diminish the pain I level have.

Any suggestions or ideas? Or, am I expecting too much? Or, is there such a thing as having a high tolerance to pain meds?

Please help and thanks folks!

• I recently started taking Percocet 7.5 mgs and I'm allowed 6 a day. From what I hear, it is stronger than Vicodin but it tends to wear off sooner that it for some reason. I don't think it has nothing to do with you because you started taking them only 6 days ago. It is probably the medication itself. Maybe your doctor can put you on a long acting medication like MS Contin to better control your pain. I use Fentanyl patches as my long acting and percocets for break through pain. I hope you will find something to give you more relief. Take care
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Its hard to generalize when it comes to the effects that pain medications have on different people.
    Some people with a much lower dose then you are taking is too much for them to function, while others are taking much higher doses and it doesnt take the edge off.

When you start to take pain medications, especially the immediate relief type (like you are taking), the initial dosage seem to impact you and you get the relief you are looking for. Within a week or so, that same amount of pain medication is not doing what it initially did.

Your options:

1- Discuss this with your doctor to see what other options are available to you. Way too often people just look to increase the dosage of their pain medications and try to move onto something stronger. If their doctors buy into that, it still will only be a short period of time before those pain medications no longer are effective. Depending on the situation, what is really important to control and manage pain is The Blend to me that is so very important to help manage pain.

2- Discuss with your doctor that the current pain medications is not doing its job. Depending on your situation, how the doctor views all of this, there is always a possibility of switching over to the Extended Relief type of Pain medications. Thats the Oxycontin ER,
    Opana ER to name a few. They come in various doses and the objective with the ER style is to provide you with a continuous amount of pain relief throughout the day.. (Any way from 8-12 hours).. Then many doctors also add breakthrough pain medications, which are the Immediate Relief style, Oxycodone and Opana are just two.
    But this is something that your doctor really has to see as being a good course of action for you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Too try and give you a description of one (ER) Extended Release, Kadian C-II capsules are really good for the "long" acting relief your looking to have. This is all based on what I take and everyone's chemistry is different. The manufacturer of Kadian capsules has a website and they describe how they work. I went from a generic (morphine sulfate) to Kadian capsules. What I found is, the Kadian's do not have such harsh side effects like the generics do. For some people the generics and name brands make their stomach a little upset. For some it causes them to get sleepy and others to stay awake. I'm just trying to give you a description of what to expect if you are prescribed these medications. Kadian capsules are expensive, this is due to them being name brand. Morphine Sulfate is the generic of Ms. Contin and a lot cheaper.
  • I would talk to your Dr and tell him it only lasts 2-3 hours and even thenn you still have pain. I started last year with MS Contin 30mg once a day to 30mg 4x day. The one thing with extended relief it takes you through the night and you're not in as much pain when you get up. Take care and hope you get some relief. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.