Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What makes a very good doctor - Trust and Confidence both ways

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Medications
I know that many of us have had some doctors that we love and have complete trust and confidence in them. And then there are many of us that have doctors, or should I say a person believing they are a doctor.
I had my monthly follow up with my doctor today. As long as I am on narcotics, she insists on monthly follow ups and blood work at least every 30 days.
In her office, I told that I was feeling guilty. For the past month or so, I have been able to get through a day with 4 tabs of 5mg Opana, along with Neurontin. 2 weeks ago, I tried to 'extend' how long I could stay without any pain medication. Well, that backfired for me. Instead of trying to reduce my pain medications, I had to start to increase them.
The days I tried to wait and wait before I took an Opana, I would have a bad night. The pain would increase, my nerve damages surfaced and my restless leg syndrome went crazy.
She just looked at me and said, "Ron, I have no problem with your handling of pain medications. I would love to see you stay on no more than averaging 4 per day. There should be some days when the count is 2 and there will be days when the count is 5 or 6. She has been so supportive of me, and asd I have mentioned to others here, she would go out of he way to call me every Friday morning to see how I was doing. We talked a bit and she took out some of he office notes with her almost 2 years ago. I was on Oxycontin 40mg 3x day, but more alarming was that I was taking 10-12 oxycodone IR5mg a day! That went out for almost 18 months. So, she said to me, today you can get by with 4 a day.. That is progress!
Then she wrote another script for Opana 5mg and to augment that a new one for me, Cymbalta.
Times like that , I just want to give the doctor a big hug.
I know I could do that easily with a male doctor, but I am afraid if I did that with a female doctor, even though we have known each other for almost 3 years, I feel funny.
I dont want to give the wrong impression.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com