Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upper back pain almost 3 months post L5-S1 fusion (plus)?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. A few weeks ago after 6 weeks complaining of 10+ pain at night when trying to get up from lying down then walking, I finally got relief with a 10's unit and Valium for nighttime. The reprieve lasted about a week and a day, then they started up again. Now add to that upper back pain that started about 4-5 days ago, but only when I'm standing.

My doctor made the decision to only do a one level, with the understanding I will most likely need the next level at a later date. I'm worried this could be the beginning of more chronic pain in my upper back. I have an appointment with my NS next Tuesday, and with every call I make to complain about this or that, I think they may be starting to ignore my complaints. I've been worried about this pain at night that they keep insisting is muscle spasms, and I keep hoping they will do a ct scan (can't have MRI), but so far they just keep letting me be in pain (oh, they told me they will no longer be giving me the Valium, as they have a policy to prescribe it for only 2 weeks.) and I'm not getting relief. They don't even trust that I am experiencing nerve pain and weakness when getting out of bed (and while sitting after getting up from laying down).

Guess I just think maybe I should get another opinion, or is it too early, and should I let this take it's course? As a single mother of 2 seniors (and an adult son), I NEED to get back to work, or I need to be told no, you can't work for "blah" amount of time, so we can sell the rest of our stuff and .... and what? No idea. MOney has been dire for many months, ran out of reserves... ok now I'm rambling. Is it possible the degeneration in the l4 disk got bad this fast, and is it something that can really be seen in xrays? They just keep doing xrays...... I am getting desperate, what should I do?

• Hi!

I developed pain in my upper back after ADR surgery, and I'm hoping something isn't out of whack, but I have a suspicion that my surgery wasn't done properly and caused some sort of problem (back pops all the time and feels like it's going out of place). I'm supposed to go in for a CT scan this week, so maybe I'll find something out. I can actually touch that part of my back and it's like I've been bruised or something...so strange...feels like something is swollen or as though I was hit.

Let me know how it goes with you.
  • Sorry to hear that :( When was your surgery, and how soon after did the pain develop? Did your surgeon decide on a CT after you told him of this, or did you have to beg? I'm soooo tired of begging for them to take my pain at night seriously, I am loathing telling them about this new problem.
  • i have pain in upper back now, although i do have a problem there anyway, i think its alot to do with the fact that lower down has been fused, which is obviously putting the body in a position its not used to, and therefore the muscles above are now having to work differently, and are simply aching. I have all the muscles attatched to my ribs feeling very tender, and i feel its alot of strain on these muscles just to stand up straight.

Im working on the basis that they will get used to their new position, and ache less over time. All we can do is make sure our posture is good, take plenty breaks and build up slowly. I too have pain at night, as if my whole body is then aching from the day its had.

We have been through alot and need plenty of patience.

Hope you get releif soon
  • I remember when I was still using my brace, the posture thing hit me pretty hard, and the soreness was constant from being forced to stand in a different position, so I'm hoping you are right, I'm really not ready for the second half of my NS *-year plan for my back.

Thanks for your well wishes :p