Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

30 days since court date

Faith MFFaith M Posts: 287
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Health Insurance Issues
It has been 30 days since my SSD appeal court date. Does anyone know how long it takes to get an answer?

Faith M

• I had my appeal hearing for SSD 30 days ago. I am wondering how long the decision making process will take. You're right Paul, this has been a long process, I filed over 2 1/2 years ago. ~X(

Faith M
  • Just some encouragement, hang in there, I'm just beginning the process. Thanks to Paul for a very informative post.
  • I was diagnosed yesterday with osteoarthritis in all of my fingers and thumbs. I was hoping it was just bone spurs. My lawyer called the courthouse and the judge still has my paperwork, so we're faxing the info ASAP. What timing. Any sedentary job they may think I can do would involve constant use of my fingers. I am not celebrating, just glad these records will be included. My hands are my tools of escape when I can't be mobile. This was bad news for me.

Faith M
  • I first filed for SSDI on novemeber 1,2006 as of february

25th i had my ALJ hearing here in Alaska.

It is now may and i have not heard a thing from anyone !!

the wait is really getting old!

its been such a long and discouraging journey
  • I agree, this waiting is for the birds! It's been almost 3 years since I applied for SSD. I had my appeal over 60 days ago and no word yet. Every time I see my Dr. I have to try to to get them to fax the info to my lawyer ASAP. My Dr.'s office just doesn't move that quickly! Hang in there.
    Faith M
  • Thanks Faith, I sure hope you hear something soon too.

sounds like you have been through a lot with your spine problems.You need SSD and i pray you get it.
  • It's a waiting game. Keep in touch, I'll be looking for your name under "Finally got my SSD!". We've got to hear something soon...I think. I pray you get it too.
    Faith M
  • My lawyers office called the courthouse and were told we'll have an answer within 3 months. At least I finally have a time frame! Tick-tock ~X(
    Faith M
  • I'm a little confused Faith M. I got lucky the first time in my life, and got approved first time within 4-6 weeks. I stayed on top of the case worker and went to various places to get records as it takes so long when they have to request themselves. I learned a long time ago to keep copies myself. (I must say I also got EXTREMELY lucky that my original case worker got sick or something as she was clueless as to what she was doing). However, that said, SSDI rightly could not give me the correct disability date because the particular week we needed info the doctor who retired, his office was closed. So I did need to appeal it. Since I brought copies of most everything to SS for my initial interview, he had them. Apparently, some got lost and hence my court date was not showing up. But again, I kept calling every few days. I finally got my court date 2 months hence. I didn't feel a need for an attorney as I know my illness better than anyone. The judge was unable to go back as far as I requested (missing doctor notes per court doctor attending via phone) but it was irrelevant since I filed under Title 2; one can only get a 2 year lookback period which I clearly had. So altho the judge could not give me the date requested, the date agreed still brought me to the place I needed to be in order to be eligible for Medicare. She ruled from the bench and I received a copy of the written finding within a week. I can't recall what she said, but if a judge submits to SS one way, it will expedite the claim. Another, will just go thru normal channels and take forever. The real fun began with SS. (the numbers you call are merely call centers and I had to literally force them to keep looking beyond the initial screens). I then contacted my state Rep and told him to make inquiry. SS MUST respond to those immediately. So I received my back pay within 3 weeks I believe. But they deducted $5000 for the attorney when I acted as my own atty!!
    Again, call to Rep who made inquiry and I had those funds paid within a week or so. However when it came time for 1099 they had no idea how to fix their OWN mistake. I just love the idiots our tax dollars pay!

If I were you I would call the judge's clerk and ask for a copy of decision. It is not rocket science. Either your documentation supports your claim or it doesn't. The judge is not a medical doctor so the doctor present at your hearing will have to confirm that it is documented by your doctor at the time you are claiming disability.

If this is a state disability claim, disregard all the above as that varies by state.

FWIW- I want to avoid fusion at all costs. I am doing traction 2x a week at physical therapist. It works far better than any nerve blocks and epidurals w/o causing any systemic damage for me anyway. You can also do the same thing in a pool by weighting your feet and use floaties to hold your arms up. It too helps to stretch spine. You can also workout in pool with power walks etc. I am seeing a big improvement in just last 2 weeks that I am more than happy to skip epidural.
  • I'm just writing to tell you to hang in there too, and I hope that these last 2 months go flying by. Take care :H
  • Lil Bo PEEP, I applied for SSD not SSDI. I am permanently disabled. I also live in Michigan and they are very backed up here. I applied 3 years ago, I have tons of documentation and 3 doctors supporting my claim. The judge has not made a decision in my case yet, I'll get an answer within 3 months. Thanks for trying to help. Meydey, I really appreciate your continuing support. Thank you. >:D<
    Faith M
  • It is same thing. I am permanently disabled as well and filed under Title II which is federal social security. The bureaucrats being backed up is not your problem. You just call your House Rep and tell him you want an inquiry. SS MUST by law respond IMMEDIATELY to an inquiry or you can wait it out for months/years which is certainly your choice. Given the state of economy and in particular your state, i think your three months will look more like three years!

FYI- there was an article about a year ago I want to say in WSJ but wouldn't swear to it, wherein a quadrapalegic was denied disability on first app. Took 5 YEARS to finally get approval. I believe that poor guy was in Michigan too. There were countless heartrending stories of people being denied despite clear and convincing evidence (while others with a stubbed toe get assistance immediately). They unfortunately just accepted what they were told and had no one to advocate for them or did not know how to advocate for themselves.
  • I need all the help I can get. And yes, the economy here is really bad. My husband is also self employed so we pay our own health ins. And business is slow. Times are tough in Michigan and they're shutting down more auto factories. Many stores in my town have gone out of business. You sure got your disability fast, can I ask what state you're in? Sounds like you had tons of fun with SS once you got it. It's amazing the idiots they pay to screw with our lives! Thanks for your support, I think I'll make that call...
    Faith M