Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, surgery is not very inviting from the reports here on the boards

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in New Member Introductions

After reading my info below... Question:
Is there any healing? It seems like it/the injury just 'sits there' waiting to be reagitated. Well for myself anyway, I basically didn't do anything for a couple of months, then I'd carry logs from the garage to inside and reinjure. Then after 3 months I'd dig a hole in the garden and reinjure. Now this has been going on for a year. "If" I've finally learned not to do anything physical over 5 pounds, for a period of 5 maybe 7 months or a year, would it indeed heal?

I've got the C5-6, C6-7, 6-7 is worse, sticking out a quarter of an inch they way from the MIR's. I had my entire spine MRI'd? sitting in that tube for 2 1/2 hours, whacka-whacka-whacka-whacka, buzz buzz buzz, click click click, then...
boompah, booompah, boompah, boompah, tick tick tick tick, hmmmmmm hmmmmmm click, hmmmm hmmmm click, hmmmm, hmmmm, click... for 2 1/2 hours. Freeking scary!

Do I just survive at this level for the rest of my life?
Index, ring finger buzzing and numb, elbow numb, biceps sore and weak, shoulder inflamed middle of back inflamed, all on the left side. I sleep 2 hours on bed and rest of night in recliner.

Thanks for any replies.
I've gone to meditating, no longer using software on computer with mouse writing songs. No longer typing very much (used to be a typist, 110 wpm.)
This kind of 'changes' your life pretty much.

3/2006 age 55
Left arm/hand/fingers suddenly can't move, after sitting in a class at work for 8 hours in

plastic chairs with 's' wave pattern. 3 days emergency hospital later MRI shows protusion at

C5-C6 discs, and worse at C6-C7.
For two years I return to regular life but get extremely bad neck pains after lifting

anything. Wifes' Father and then mother pass away during this time, we pack up house, sell

it and move to another state, unpack. After one year we move and I do all of the moving of

boxes to save money.
Wake up and right shoulder/arm/hand/fingers won't move.
Go to doctors. I explain the previous injury from 2 years ago and get prescribed pain

medication. Adjust pain medications from
some tylenol derivitive
to a combination that works:

And it works, except whenever I 'do anything' physical I have to take one or two Vicatin for

two to three days straight to get back to Pain Level C5-6 which is constant and regular.
12/09 MRI
Finds a slightly larger protrusion in C6-C7 disc, but otherwise nothing else.
04/09 current
I dug four small holes with my hands and shovel last weekend and had to be on Vicatin for 5

days straight and constant Level 9-10 pain all the way, lightening up yesterday and finally

today. Day after tomorrow will be back down to regular Level 5-6 pain.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    something that you can do to improve your overall spinal condition and quality of life.
    Based on what posted, it was unclear if there is any other disc problem. Also with the cervical disc problems, what has been your doctor's recommendation?
    What treatment and action plan has your doctor initiated?
    There are so many conservative treatments that you should be doing in order to try to correct the situation and potentially avoid surgery. But that is something that only your doctor can provide the answers for.

While you may read posts about surgery failures. Those are the ones that stick out.
    Read on and you will find out that there are many many
    success stories about spinal surgery
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. Your description of the MRI was way too graphic. It sent chills down my spine. :O

I agree with PapaRon that there are some conservative measures to take to try and get things better. I couldn't tell you if it ever goes away because I'm just 5+ months out from surgery and still have issues.

The first thing that stuck out in my mind when I read your post is that you rest then haul logs and reinjure, rest and then dig a hole and reinjure. Hauling logs and digging holes are pretty heavy duty stuff and can really take a toll on your spine, health or not.

One of the reasons you see a lot of bad stories and outcomes on this forum is that many members leave once they're healing and getting back to their old life. There are those of us, however, that choose to stay and help others like yourself. I'm one of those. I consider my surgery a success even though I'm not back to 100%. The spine is a very delicate thing and take a long time to heal.

Take care of yourself and hang in there. I agree that it can change your life, but it doesn't have to be for the worse, just different.

• We've all had those same thoughts that you are having and some are where you are at. You've asked yourself a very good question, Can you live like you are living?

I get to a point, where I say, no more...I take it and make it and it's hard, then I just have to find a solution to try and fix the problem. Why go through life in constant pain and not being able to do a lot of things that you love doing? Some things don't heal up. Some things degenerate further as time goes on or your body will try to heal the problem, by creating spurs and scar tissue which can irritate the nerves even more. I'm 44 and I've had arthritis since my 30's. Your post says you are almost 56, do you have arthritis or any kind of degenerative disease? Do you ache any time other than when you reinjure your neck? Oh, I just went back and read, your "normal" pain level is 5 or 6???

Maybe it's time to see a surgeon to get an opinion? Maybe it's time to have a nerve study done? I know most don't want to have more tests, but it beats feeling like you are stuck in a rut! You are the only one that can answer your questions in my opinion. Everyone is different. We can help you with more questions and our opinions and our experience, but you have to decide what you can live with. It sounds like to me you are tired of it! and at that point of making the next step of pursuing opinions and options.

Keep posting and hope you find relief.
  • Well, with the entire back MRI scanning they found nothing more except a bit of inflamation on my mid back area. And to tell you the truth once I was on my full regime of pain medications 'that's' the area that still hurt often. Both doctors I've seen agree that that is probably my 20 pounds extra belly weight pulling on that area.

Yes, I recently, in month 11 after the second injury of the same neck area... carried two bags of leaves, and knelt and dug three holes for potatoes. And prepping that, feeling as good as I was I had gone back to moving the mouse at my computer and working on another song for three weeks. Also I drastically increased my typing on a couple of discussion groups online (not pain groups, grins). Now I find that the over typing set up the inflamation which caused it to peak and reinjure again with the leaves and digging.

Well, 'why' I reinjure is because this is all new to me. And I'm just 'now' coming to pain management web sites to read of others experiences. So now I can begin to learn.

I 'thought' that the injury would just heal. I find now that this is not going to heal, but only sit there and be ready to re inflame and reinjure if I do any sorts of activity.

I was checked for MS (it's in my family, one uncle and two cousins expired from it, and my mother has a very slow variety) and have no traces at all, good. I was checked for degenerative arthritis and nothing showing up yet. So it's just the C5-C6, and C6-C7 of which the C6-C7 is longer, or extruded more than 2 years ago MRI (well three years ago now).

I can't really be doing this typing now.
    But thanks for replies people. :)