Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PT after ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
How long after surgery do you usually have to wait to restart PT? My trigger point pain (which was what sent me to a Dr in the 1st place) flared up again last night. Very disappointing since I've been doing so well. I probably caused it by trying to do more things for myself yesterday knowing I would be on my own today. My sister went back to Canada this am. I took a flexeril & a percocet this am which seems to be helping and I'm gonna veg out today on the couch & do NOTHING.

I knew that surgery would not fix my muscle knots which have been there for years so I'm anxious to get back to PT where maybe massage, e-stim, ultrasound, etc may help. They were afraid to do much with me prior to surgery due to my MRI results & my rapidly progressing neuro symptoms. I also wonder about trigger point injections. I had done some research on this in December & went to my PCP in Jan to ask her opinion. That was when she ordered the MRI & I found out about my c-spine issues.

The pain is not horrible like many spineys go through but it makes it hard to do my job (nurse). When I completely rest for a few days it goes away but comes back quickly when I resume my normal activities. The only medication I took for it was advil which is now off limits due to my fusion. So, I'm just curious about the PT thing & if anyone has had trigger point injections I'd love to hear your stories.

Thanx & have a great day!

Joann
advertisement

Comments

• Joann,
    I started PT about 6 weeks after my first acdf in November 07. It is hard to do nothing, but that is what we have to do. I am 8 days post op and find myself wanting to do the things I was doing before my surgery. Have to remind myself that it is major surgery and slow down. My NS told me this time it will be 8 to 12 months before I get somewhat normal and there is no sense rushing it, soooooo I will take my time. Glad things are going well!

mark
  • Thanx for the reply. It is very hard to slow down. I have never been one to sit around & do nothing but I know I need to chill out for a while. It's been going so well & I definitely don't want a setback. Until last night I thought I was done with the muscle relaxers & pain pills.

How have you been doing since your last surgery? We were done on the same day. Hope all is well. Take care.
  • Joann,
    I am doing ok, some rather large muscle spasms at times, but I just have to do nothing and they seem to go away. I am slowing my pain meds, I have not had to use my er type meds today. Overall I am much better than I thought I would be at this time, but I do sort of know what to expect. Like I said your body will let you know when you overdo it...stay focused and befoe you know it you will be a month out and things will be going better.
    Mark
  • I started therapy two months after surgery,it will be a year next week and am still doing it.The last time i was at the surgeons office he told me that i could still see improvements up to 18mths after surgery.
advertisement