Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 level vs 2 level ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi -

I'm looking for some informed experiences on the following scenario: my ortho has recently upped the ante and recommended 2 level ACDF (5-6-7) instead of the original plan for 1 level (5-6).

I've read elsewhere that two levels can result in more ROM loss post-op, but otherwise it seems the two procedures are fairly similar...

Would love to hear some thoughts on the following topics related to two level experiences:

>Level of dependence on others during the initial recovery

>Return to work time line for desk jockeys (realizing that everyone is different)

>"Green light" time line for air travel (10+ hours) and leisure activities (such as fishing, horseback riding, hiking at 10k+ altitude, etc)

>Are you glad you did it, or would you reconsider if you could turn back time?

Thanks in advance...

• Well, I didn't have a 2-lvl but I did have a 3-lvl. I'm amazing at how much ROM I have. I wore a hard collar for four weeks and a soft collar for eight and I'm only slightly limited looking up and down and tilting my head to the left or right. Looking left and right is not a problem at all - my PT said it's because the cervical spine doesn't move that much when you look left and right, thus the other limitations.

I had someone with me for three weeks after I got home, but two would've been fine (my mom-in-law tends to overstay in any situation) and I could've functioned by myself after a week if necessary.

I returned to work after about seven weeks, but only part time and even that was difficult (I also work at a computer).

As for travel, I have no idea, but I'm sure you'll get someone who can share their experience.

I'm very glad I had my surgery because it relieved the worst of my symptoms. Healing is not a quick or easy thing, but it does get better with time.

• I had the same surgery you are facing. I am only 8 days post op so I'm new to this but I can help with your 1st question. I would recommend you have help for the first few days if you live alone. Everyone has a different experience with surgery but it's nice to have some support around. I think I was really lucky & have done very well but I was so happy to have my sister here with me for the 1st wk. She left this morning. I am wearing a hard collar(miami j)which really limits what you can do. Washing my hair has been my biggest challenge & I still haven't figured out the best way yet :?

I am glad I had the surgery since I was risking paralysis without it & some of my symptoms have already disappeared. This site is great & I have received soooo much valuable information & support here. Lots of great people on here willing to help with even the most trivial questions. If I can help you with anything else feel free to PM me. Good luck!
  • I also had the same surgery two weeks ago and I agree with newfienurse. I needed help around the house the first week, getting up and down stairs, washing yourself, getting things above your head or low to the floor can be a test. Get yourself a grabber-they are invaluable. You might want to get a nice short buzz haircut pre-op so you don't have to deal with it post-op.

I'm still in cervical collar so I can't really say how ROM is yet. I went for two level becuase I didn't want to have to have this done again in the next few years for the adjacent level. I'm expecting to return to work at the end of 8-12 weeks depending on fusion success and yes I'm a desk jockey also.
  • ...for the info and thoughts so far. My lovely wife will be around to help, but I'm sure she'll need a break, and I have extended family nearby. If I do this, I'm hoping to be somewhat to mostly independent by the end of the first week. I also want to jump back into work by the end of the second week, but the drift I get is that it depends on individual recovery and post op pain, etc.

No worries with hair maintenance, as there is not much left! :)))

At this point I just need to make a firm decision...I've been dealing with cervical issues and the associated baggage for a long time and I would love to have some relief, but I also have this sense of concern that I could come out on "the other side" of this the same or with more limitations...Can't remember what "normal" feels like anymore and it's probably not a good thing to just accept the status quo, but I'd hate to go through this and not improve...