Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

first time visit to spine doctor

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I'm 52 years old, a smoker involved in accident 10-19-08 struck a drunk driver with my tow truck, ( they were drunk) pulled out in front if me while I was travelling 50 mph and t-boned to their car. there car was destroyed and my truck had over $10,000.00 in damages to right front. now I have lower back pain and today workmans comp has me scheduled for the new doctor after 3 different opinions. first dr says not canidate for surgery, second dr. days fusion between the l-4 and l-5, third dr says injections, physical therapy and possible fusion. can anyone add any imput?

• Welcome to Spine-Health. Ouch - that accident sounds awfully painful. My opinion (and it's only my opinion, I'm not a doctor) is for you to get another opinion from a spinal surgeon.

Personally, out of the three you mention I'd trust the third doctor most because he wants to try some conservative methods first and if those fail, fusion surgery as a last resort. Almost all of us have tried conservative methods before having no choice but to have surgery.

It can be very confusing to see three doctors with three differing opinions, so maybe it's time for a fourth.

Take care and keep us posted.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    Sounds like you are on a game show and need to decide to Open Door 1, 2 or 3!
    That is just one of the things that you will discover the more you get involved with Spinal situations. There are different opinions on how to treat a condition. Even with MRIs and other diagnostic testing, doctors may differ on their approach.. Hopefully, all will see the same situation (ie Herinated disc at xx-yy) but thats where they all may part.
    I think it is important to have at least two doctors saying the same thing and agreeing with the same approach. If that doesnt happen, seek additional opinions.
    The safest approach is to go the conservative route first.
    There are many treatments that can provide relief to the patient without surgery and for some actualpateints it could mean avoiding surgery alltogether.
    Treatments such as:
    - Physical and Aqua Therapy
    - Ice/Heat Therapy
    - Ultrasound
    - Massage Therapy
    - Passive Traction
    - Acupuncture
    - Spinal Injections (ESI, Trigger point, etc)
    - etc

I would try to make sure that these methods were attempted before scheduling any surgery.

But, the bottom line, is what your doctors are saying. We are speaking only from our own personal experiences.
    Take our posts at face value and use them as input when you do have formal medication discussions.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com