Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new guy on the block

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
hi everyone, there is a newbie. 52 yrs old , lower back from accident, seen 1st surgeon, not a canidate ordered physical therapy.... nogood.... 2nd surgeon says fusion btwn l-4 and l-5 and today I see aurgeon for injections or fusion , I don't know????? can someone shed a little light on this maybe I can understand?

• We have a good group here and I hope you get lots of posts. The doctors will always try conservative measures first like the shots to see if they help. I also think the insurances approve surgery better if they show that you've tried several other methods and surgery is the only option left.

It sounds like you've had some tests? MRI? CT Scan? I had two MRIs that the opinions on were just degenerative disc disease, bulging discs, and spinal stenosis---neurologist and PM and GP said didn't warrant surgery. I tried shots, PT, heat, chiropractor, tens unit, nothing helped and the pain was getting worse and not manageable. I finally went to a neurosurgeon for his opinion and he had me to do a myelogram (dye into the spinal cord) and a discogram (dye injected into each disc where there were something showing). Lots of pics taken and CT scan done. My L4/L5 disc was practically torn in two with a chunk missing causing my vertebras to rock around causing pain. I also had a nerve study on my lower body and that showed diminshed activity on one leg and hyperactivity on the other leg. All of this said fusion surgery.

I asked about a disc trim or an artificial replacement and other alternatives and the surgeon said for me, the fusion was the only lasting option. But I would have to make the decision since I could go on hurting and be disabled or have the surgery. I had the fusion.