Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fun night tonight

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Water Cooler
I am pretty psyched. Tonight my wife and I are going to be cooking dinner for Mary Travers (from Peter Paul and Mary) at her house.
My wife has gotten to know Mary pretty well, I've just met here several times, mostly at her concerts.
So, the pressure is on for me to do a good dinner.

Osso Buco
Asparagus wrapped in mozzarella and prosciutto

And a nice bottle of Valpolicella Ripasso (not to be confused with the inexpensive Valpolicellas.

So the pressure is on for me to deliver. I've finished all the cooking at our house and we will head over to Mary's house around 5:30pm.

I aint too much like a little kid. My wife keeps laughing at me. I still get some chills when I meet Mary. Peter Paul and Mary were a driving force in my love of music and culture during the 60's and into the 70's

Wish me luck
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    so many people thought it had to do with drugs. When I meet Peter , Paul ( whos really name is Noel, but changed it for the strange names), one of the topics was about the song.
    They couldnt figure out why so many people thought it was a song about drugs and things, they said, the basis of that song had nothing to do with that
  • PapaRon, woweee. Cooking for Mary Travers. That's quite impressive.

I always loved them too and my hubby and I watched one of their concerts (one of the newer ones) recently on TV. Boy, they still got it!

Have a great time and I know it'll be just fantastic. Can't wait to hear about it!

PS It says on her website that she's been in ill health. If you know, is she doing better?
  • Enjoy yourself and just be yourself!

Thanks for bringing joy to someone just simply to bring friendship and the human touch.

Good to see you Paul.
    We had a great night at Mary's house. Her house is like a museum. Her husband took me on a tour through room by room. Their house dates back to the late 1790's and some updates in the 1820's.
    There were more pictures, gold albums, statues, and so much more. There was one 9 foot potrait done of Mary in 1972 when she was in London.
    I am happy to say, she and her husband loved my meal. I do have to admit, I can cook, but I cant clean! Never follow recipes, that just aint my style.
    I sat next to Mary the entire evening, talking to her about different things.. .At one point, I just said, OK, I have to admit this. "I was nervous most of the day just knowing I was going to be coming to your house. I had butterflies in my stomach" To me, Mary and Peter and Paul were icons to me and help mold me into much of what I was in the 60's and 70's and till now.
    It was a great night.
    Now, she wants me back to cook her French Onion Soup!
    Now, that is one of my top ten dishes I make!
  • Glad to hear you had a great night. Definitely helps take your mind off spine issues. Are you cooking more now that you are retired and have more spare time? My dad started cooking about 6 months ago and he even is baking. He never baked the whole time I was growing up. His food is really good and he's very creative. He's been on permanent disability for about 2 years now and I'm glad to see that he found something that brings him joy. He is so proud of himself and I get to sample all his recipes cuz I live next door to him. I just went over today to get some more of his cupcake brownies he made. They were so good!
    Michele, when I was a young toddler, I remember watching my grandmother cook. I was always interested, because she would just pick up this, add that and everything came out great.
    When I was abougt 15 years old, I really got more and more interested in cooking. At one point, I wanted to go to Culinary Institute to become a chef. But back in the late '60s business was the booming carreer path.
    At home, I did most of the cooking. My wife and I always shared cooking, but about 15 years ago, while she was cooking, I would be looking over her shoulder to 'make' sure she was doing ir right. No problem, she stood up, gave me the spoon and said its ALL yours. Still to this day I cook every night. I love being creative, never follow a recipe and go on instincts, oh and yes I cook with a lot of wine.
    So, now evern in my retirement days, I am cooking, but no more than in the past
  • French Onion Soup! You must teach me to make it! I love the stuff!

Glad that you had a good time and were able to relax and enjoy yourself. One thing we tend to forget, is that even though someone is an icon, mentor, celebrity etc ... inside they are just a person. Many times they crave being treated like a normal person as much as a chronic pain sufferer craves being normal.

You and your wife have given Mary a wonderful gift with your friendship.
  • What an honour to be cooking for someone as famous as Mary! :wink:" alt=":wink:" height="20" />

You just gave me another idea for a retirement job....catering! If she loved your cooking, she could surely lead you to others who could pay you the BIG bucks for your amazing food!

• What a cool night for you and your wife!

Did you listen to and/or like Tommy James and the Shondells way back when too?

• I am so impressed that you are such an accomplished that you can cook for a "famous" person. WOW! (Reading your menu made me really hungry, too.)

What cheese do you use in/on your French Onion soup? I got hooked on onion soup in France - the bread and cheese with which they top it is what makes it wonderful!

I grew up with the same music (I am 58).
  • I named my cat Puff after Puff the magic giant. That's great! I've met a few movie stars and muscians working in the ER as they do filming where I work. They're just like us human! But it still is awesome to meet people who are Celebs. I just can't say who I've met to anybody due to privacy issues. That's awesome you're a great cook. I love french onion soup! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN