Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Selective Nerve Root Blocker, anyone?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I went to see the Orthopedic Surgeon today and finally got a diagnosis of a herniated C7 disc. I had some limited nerve function and muscle function in my left arm, it has been like that for over 4 months now. They scheduled me for a Selective Nerve Root Blocker for my C7 nerve root. They kind of gave me a quick overview of it and some literature to read but I want some "real life" feedback. Has anyone ever had this done, any success, any pain, any long term pain relief? Really anything would be helpful, the procedure, the aftermath...I would appreciate ANY comments on it. Thanks!!

• a couple years ago. I really dont remember that it was all that bad. Although it did not help my problem, 2 level annular disc tears. That is probably why it did not work. I remember some achey feeling afterwards.And mine was lumbar sorry
  • Are you referring to the epidural injections? I know my doctor called it a beta blocker for nerve pain. I received my first injection last week. It did not last that long and it takes 2 to 3 days to work and it made me very irritable and angry. Doctor called in valium to calm me down. I actually have FMS and was managing until this spine pain hit me and hit me hard. Now I dont know what is worst my whole body aching or my neck hurting so bad that the base of my skull aches and causing crippling headaches while at the same time causing pain and muscle weakness in both of my arms and numbing my hands all the way to my fingertips. This is just crazy pain! Nothing helps but ice and laying down to get the pressure off the spine. The meds worked initially but not anymore. I have to get another shot since the first one didnt work and I will continue every two to three weeks unless the second shot of steroids by painful, pressured epidural injection dont work. Oh this is the life!
  • I've had an ESI which wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be but much like InPainMom it didn't last very long. But mine wasn't intended to. It was for diagnostic purposes to see if one level was causing all of my right side symptoms. I have a pain that runs down my neck across my right shoulder and down into my thumb. I had horrible pain afterward for about 2 days then it lasted for a couple of weeks. Then I was a candidate for surgery so I went for a second opinion because I didn't have much faith in the first. My Neurosurgeon put me through a myelogram to check for inflammation of the C6 Nerve Root instead of the C4 that the first doctor thought was the cause of my pain. So I will now be having the Selective Nerve Root block between C6/C7 next Tuesday to confirm his diagnois and be scheduled for surgery. I expect that the Selective Nerve Root Block will be much like the ESI and NOTHING like a myelogram. I hope it gives you some real relief. It sounds like yours is therapeutic so you should get better relief.