Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Depression and Coping
Hello spiney buddies >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< .
I am just curious, for those of you with depression, do you see a therapist? I am wondering because I have seen therapists off and on for 15 years. I sometimes enjoy seeing one to get things off my chest, but when I feel better emotionaly, I don't feel like I need one :? .
I have surely had my fair share of severe dark, scarey, horrible depression. It is so hard to even explaine to some people that never have been there. I am wondering really, what do you guys do when you need someone to talk to and there really isn't anyone that you can? I am tired of finding therapists then just ditching them because really, they just don't help :T .
Thanks for reading, and listening.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    does so much more than the physical aspect. The emotional part is sometimes much harder to see and/or deal with.
    Seeking professional help with counselors is very good to do. I have no problem admitting that over the years, I have found the need for counselors.
    I think everyone needs to have that 'one' person they can go to to talk, to cry, to scream, whatever. Its a needed outlet.
    Many folks can go to their spouses for this support. However, after time, we (spineys) can feel guilty about doing this. We dont always want to sound like we are complaining, having pain, not feeling good, etc
    Besides my family, I have been very lucky. I am basically a quiet person, not exposing my emotions or feelings (Yeh, right with all the stuff I post here!)..
    But honestly, I have met some people here that probably know more about me than many other local friends. There are some bonds that are so tight and caring.
    So, when I need some personal support, I know I can turn to many different members here and receive what I need.
    I am a lucky person
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Heidi,

I tend to get depressed too. After the death of my sister I went to talk therapy for many years. Funny thing, I only started to get better once I quit going. It was like the wounds were alowed to rest, to heal. Talking about it all the time wasn't doing me any good except to keep everything in my life stirred up. At that time I was also taking Zoloft
    which had so many side effects I got off it after a few years even though it was helpful. Recently I have been having another round of depression and was started on Lexipro. No side effect that I can tell at all. Really amazing. The anti-depressant effect is also very light. I don't feel like I'm on anything at all. So for me therapy no, meds yes.
    As for who to talk to I would much rather talk to a friend for 10 minutes than a therapist for an hour. Works better too! There is just no substitute in life for friends and family. (as long as they are empathic)

• Heidi,
    I am so much like you. I find a therapist I am comfortable with but as soon as I start feeling ok I don't go anymore. Then I start from scratch with a different one. To be honest, I've received more advice, support and understand here on S-H than I have anywhere (including at home).

I deal with depression and have all my life. Now I have chronic pain to add to it so it makes it that much harder to fight. There are times I just want to go to sleep. I don't know how to explain it. I don't want to hurt myself, I just want to sleep. Sleeping seems to be my escape or at least I think it is but I really don't sleep well.

Heidi, feel free to PM me anytime you are feeling down and need to chat. It's always nice to chat with someone who actually understands what you are going through.
  • I really do appreciate the responses that I have gotten! Ron, sometimes it is really easier to talk to people online than in person, and to complain to your loved ones. It does get old. It is very hard to also live with my hubby that thinks that he doesnt have a problem. He is depressed, says he isn't but I know him better! The only way that he can help himself is to get help, I have came to realize that!
    Knotted, I guess that we deal with our problems in so many different ways, it is amazing the things that we do to cope. Thank you for sharing your feelings.
    Michele, I am the same way with sleep! I know that I am getting depressed when I want to sleep all day long. I sometimes do it. It does seem like a great escape to go to sleep!!!! We do need to chat, we do have a lot in common :) Today I am not going back to sleep on the couch like I usually do after the kids go to school. I am proud of myself for that.
    It is so nice to have the support here, thank you guys!!!!!!! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I just scheduled my 1st appintment with a pain psychologist for this Friday. Im not nervous, I just hope she can bring some hope to me. Im very open minded to the idea that out thoughts control alot of what we feel. I cant take this pain anymore and I can honestly say that if I didnt have 2 beautiful children and a loving hisband, I may not be here anymore. My pain has now been completely our of control for a year now, Im going to my 3rd PM Dr and a surgeon.