Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What Now? Can't breathe on my back

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
For the first time since surgery I was able to lay in bed last night. Well now I discover that I can't take in in any air that way, like somebody has closed off my throat. I thought that it was just irritated due to tube, I know now, there's something in there that ain't right.


  • Hi Dominoman. Sounds like you need to put a call in to your surgeon to make sure everything is ok. Swelling in the throat is normal, but you need to speak to your surgeon, especially since you're sure somthing is wrong.

    Are you wearing a collar?

    Please let us know what the doc says.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    As Cathie stated, put a call into your surgeon.
    You dont want to play around with your breathing.
    The only time I have heard something similar to this is when a patient had an ACDF and aspirated some fluids. Then they developed pneumonia which caused the difficult breathing
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I can take in air fine as long as i'm not flat down. Placed another call to surgeons office, "Hi........ leave a message for ......." I've heard about all of that i care to, been calling since monday morning. Probably not going to be a real pleasant conversation if they ever call back. Giving them a little while to call, then I'll start in on them, I ain't got nothing but time to sit here and dial the phone.
  • I was able to sleep in my bed from day 1 but only elevated with pillows & on my side. Whenever I doze off on my back or my head gets too low I feel like I'm suffocating.

    I hope you get a call back from your surgeon to ease your mind.
  • On the phone with them now, back later with more details.
  • Finally got call back, set up for xrays tomorrow am. Called the pharmacist about the emotional roller coaster I've been on. They think it's probably the steroid pack to blame. NS's nurse said he was ordering another steroid pack and I have declined it, told them I will not take it. They are a little miffed, but I look at it like this, I've known by body for almost 53 years now, this surgeon has seen me for at the most 72 hours. Something caused this radical change in moods/emotions/disposition. I'm inclined to go back to the things (meds) that have been added recently, eliminate them one at a time and then see where it stops. I'll bear the pain, just can't take the emotion changes. Pharmacist says in about 36-72 hours is should be out of my system.
  • I can't breathe on my back either,but my problems are different.

    My son has a severe allergy to poison ivy and whenever he was younger he had to go on steroids whenever he would get poison.They effected his mood in a real negative way,but we had no other choice at the time.Maybe the steroids are your culprit as well.

    I hope that you feel back to 'normal' soon!
  • Finally got a call back, not much information to assist easing my concerns, but I ain't the easiest patient to deal with. Did go get my follow up x-ray today. Of course when the Dr.'s office called back,"Well he had to go back to the OR this afternoon, I'm not sure he'll be back today......." Stopping the meds has made a vast difference in how I feel. I'll be back to the recliner or couch for sleeping until I can get some type answer. Looking at the x-rays, I would have thought that the plate would be lined up with the spine, it looks to be running at an angle. I did get my package from the lawyers office in the mail today. Working on what I need to get filled out and copied. I sure have noticed that my handwriting has gone to the dogs. I have to be careful so someone can read it. Looks like a 4th grader wrote it.
Sign In or Register to comment.