Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The One Thing!

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:30 AM in Pain Management
Today I was in the Aquatic pool and starting talking to some of the other folks in the pool. Before I knew it, I was given a talk on Spinal Problems and Coping mechanisms.
Put aside all the medical things I discussed with them, I came away with something that I wanted to bring here today.

The One Thing

Think about this. You have just begun spinal problems, you have been dealing with if for a while, or you have been dealing with chronic pain for a long time. We all know how depressing and frustrating that can be. To help get us out of that mindset, everyone should focus on the One Thing that they want to do. Each person would have something different.

One gentleman in the pool said he just wanted do some fly fishing, a women want to be able to knit more, another said she wanted to ride a horse again.
So, I think almost everyone has that one thing that they would like to do. Keep that fresh in your mind everyday, make something that is always there. Its your goal, your objective, something that you want badly.

Ok, now the tough part. We know that ONE thing we want to do, but HOW do we get there? This I also found interesting. Depending on what your medical problem is, that one thing will vary. For some it would by Physical or Aqua Therapy, others it would be Acupuncture, and so on.

For me it is Deep Tissue Massage. That has been the one major treatment that has given me back my life. No, I cant do everything, but the One thing I wanted to do is gardening. Now I can, I know my limits. But I found out what the One thing I had to do in order to do the One Thing!

Go find that One thing.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• Goals are important, if you do not have any then you have no direction and no way to measure progress. I'm in process to find what will move me in the right direction.
    Thanks Ron!
    Jay
  • Yes, goals are important. PapaRon, I'm glad you posted this because I've been feeling pretty lost this past week. Like Jay (Hi Jay, long time no talk :) ) I've been trying to do some soul searching about what I can do to get some motivation going.

Since I'm without a job and can't go to PT, I've had this overwhelming desire to do nothing. I just sit at my computer most of the day. I'm home and my house is a mess, the laundry needs to be done, some documents need to be shredded, etc. etc. etc. I feel like I'm wandering around aimlessly in a big room with nothing in it. Does that make sense?

How does one pull up their bootstraps and get out there and just live? I've lost a part of me that I really need back, but it seems out of reach.

Cath
  • the way toi the one thing has been massage therapy also, i could actually work out( little tiny, incremental workouts) when i felt less pain.
    the onee thing...
    to get my 1300 pound leg press back.
    the sure and positive feeling of ability that comes from physical strength.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health