Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walking up stairs after discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I plan on talking to my Dr about this at my next apt, however I wanted to get all of your feed back too. I live up 4 flights of stairs...how hard is it going to be for me to walk up them (with help from my hubbie) after my lumbar discectomy?

Thanks again for your help. :D

• When I got up from my l4/l5 discectomy, the nurses got me out of bed, walked me down the hall, and had me go up a flight of stairs and back down again. I did not feel anything but the slightest twinge in my calf. I don't have stairs at home, but if the docs and nurses encourage you to go up/down right after surgery, my conclusion is that stairs will not hard you.
    Other thoughts, friends?
  • She said use your weak leg (hurt one) to lead when you go down the steps.

Use your strong leg to lead when you go up the steps.

I can tell the difference, especially going down the steps, because your strong leg keeps the body stabilized. You can even try it before your surgery and see how it feels.

Just remember to alway lead with the same foot: meaning weak--going down
    srong --going up

You can't walk down the stair normally by switching your feet during recovery. I hope this maks sense.
  • I too was walked up and down a set of steps in the hospital - just like what Teachertx is saying -

I have lots of stairs in my home and there was never really a problem using them. Just go slow and easy and hold onto that handrail :)
  • Oh good....such a relief...I was thinking that the worse case scenario would be that it would take me FOREVER to get up them and then I'd just be stuck walking around our apartment 'cuz I'd be too afraid to go up/down them w/o someone with me. -Thanks guys!!
  • Hi Paperwife:

I had an L5 discectomy 4 weeks ago.

My post-op paperwork specifically said stairs were OK.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!