Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post discectomy sciatic pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hell, I am new to this forum. I had a Discectomy L5-S1 almost 4 months ago. First three weeks were good, then a trip to a hot springs resort, 2 days in the hot springs,a different bed and, 2 hours in the car each way,on return the sciatic pain began. Gripping, tingling going down my left leg at times, especially when I walked.I have also had a return of the burning in the bottom of my left foot return off and on.
I was freaked out to say the least at first. The pain has improved some, but I still get it significantly at times. Was able to go back to work for 6 weeks but am now off and very depressed as I ELECTED to have the surgery after dealing with a flare up that lasted 2 years, but did get better. I was just worried that I would have to deal with that again sometime, So I had the surgery . Right now I regret that decision.
I am concerned that it is scar tissue,and have been reading some of the posts on this forum. Has anyone else had this issue and have it resolve over time or with physical therapy, naturopathic, etc.

• Not that I know anything, I have no experience. I am having surgery tomorrow.

I have heard numerous times that the longer the nerve is compressed the longer the healing time is due the the damage of the nerve...if it heals completely at all.

2 years of dealing with the pain sounds like a long time.

That could be your thing you have going on, it will just take a little longer to completly heal. If it heals at all.

The trip to the springs in only 3 weeks sounds a little fast as well. Car rides ? Hot tubs ? Seems to be a little aggressive for healing.

Again, I have no idea. Due to no experience. But that is my 2 cents.
  • my surgeon told me not to sit for more then 10 minutes in a hr or at one time. The other i felt good after micro had severe burning in foot and called surgeon and he said it was the nerve trying to wake up and heal and this should heal in around 6 months but may never heal do to the severity of the damage done upon herniation. I would use3 ice and ass long as you dont have foot drop or numbness it should be normall but i would still talk to your surgeon. Also i realy dont get the siatic pain down legg surgeon said if i did to contact them emediatly.