Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Miami J Collar

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok for those of you who wore this collar, what size were you in & how much could you move your neck in it? I was put in an extra small which according to the sizing manual is very rarely used & is for people with very short thin necks. I have a medium to long thin neck so sizing chart says I should be in a medium which is the standard for adult women. Most adult men are usually fitted with a small cause their necks are shorter. My sister & I both think that my collar is too short. I can move my head side to side & up/down. I do not feel like my head is supported & when walking I feel like a bobble head! In order to get more support I tighten the velcro but I'm at the point of choking myself with the darn thing.

So, last night after my sister left I ordered a new one online in medium to the tune of $110 with the replacement pads. I talked to my sis & my friend today & they said I was nuts to pay for something I had already been charged for in my surgical bill.So I cancelled my order & called the hospital (where I also work) & spoke to the orthotics dept. They remembered me from my surgery date. I explained everything to them & they said "oh the medium is really big". BUT if the company that makes them says that is the right size for me what gives??? My collar does not fit me like ANY of the pictures in the book. Anyhoo I tried to get my point across & after a frustrating conversation she said she wanted to speak to my doctor first (who is in the OR all day today)before we changed anything. My doc didn't fit me for the stupid thing! I really hate that he is going to be bothered by something so trivial but I don't want to just let it go. I had the surgery & I'm trying to do what the doc says & if he wants my head immobilized well I want it done right! My neck is hurting from bending my head forward, something I shouldn't be able to do.

Well, thanks for letting me vent. Sorry about the rant. I'm just frustrated right now.
advertisement

Comments

• I wore it for about 7 weeks it was a size medium and no I could not really move my neck especially not side to side. I had to turn my whole body to look left or right. I definitely could not look down I know that for sure I had a hard time putting in my contact so I didn't wear them most of the time.

It does sound like it is not fitting you right. You should go back to the Dr you should not have to buy one. I even got replacement pads at the hospital when I went for my 2 week follow up.
  • Thank you. I did cancel the one I ordered online but I did not hear back from the hospital yet. They had said they would speak with the surgeon. I will wait til about noon tomorrow & then will call my doc's office. The worst thing is that I remember when the girl fitted me pre op she said that xs was the size she gave most women! Funny since the book says it is used on less than 5% of the population. They did give me extra pads which is very helpful. If I have to wear the collar I want it to be the right one! Thanx again for replying.
  • I started writing this earlier and step away from computer. Lack of concentration that is. Anyway I looked at my miami j brace and it is a small. I wore the brace for 12 weeks. You shouldn't be able to move like that in it. Mine was fitted by someone who came in and did. I actually felt good in the brace it was never a bother to me. Felt so much better than me holding my neck up all the time. I'm not a small person or large person either just in the average. Hope this helps and take care.
  • That's for sharing. From what I have read most people say the collar gave them support even if they didn't like it. I feel like I have to pull my shoulders up to help support my head & that is what causes my muscles to get so tight. Hopefully I will get this fixed tomorrow so I can get back to enjoying my fairly good recovery.
  • I wore that with my first surgery in 1997-they had a very hard time fitting me as I have a long but thin neck. The medium wasn't "tall enough" and the large swallowed me. I had my last surgery 9 months ago. I was fitted with an Aspen collar which turned out to be way too big so I went back to the supplier and they exchanged it for a wonderful collar called Aspen Vista which is more adjustable. Hope you get the right collar.
  • After I woke up from surgery in my hospital room, my collar was way to loose and it didn't fit me right. Nobody seemed to notice except my husband because I could move pretty freely.

The next morning in preparation to go home, two PT people came in to show me how to get in the tub, etc. They noticed right away how my collar didn't fit me and got me a new one - yes, size medium. I also have a long thin neck and after the PT people put the new one on (they showed me exactly how to tighten it, etc.) I couldn't move my head at all.

I'm glad you're putting up a stink about this because what is the point of the collar if you can move your head???

You go girl!!!
    Cath
  • I did not get a call back yesterday so I called the hospital this morning & told them I was sorry to be a PIA but wanted to know what I should do. They told me they had spoke to my surgeon & he wanted me to call his office. I called but he & his PA had been called into emergency surgery. I spoke to the girl there who handles his surgical pts & she was VERY nice & listened to what my issues were & said she would speak to the doc when he got out of surg & call me back. She told me not to feel bad about questioning the fit cause if I could move my head around it was definitely not the right size. I just worry about how they are fitting other people cause when they did mine day of surgery she said "oh most women get an extra small" but according to the manufacturer most women are a medium!
  • Well, I guess the manufacturer's guidelines are not accurate or something. I went to my doc's office & his PA tried me with a small size (the only one they had) & it was a better length but way too big around. She told me that the medium would definitely be too big. So I guess I'm just gonna have to be more careful. It sucks cause I had to cab it over there just to come back with the same collar. Now I feel bad that I said anything. Maybe I can jury-rig something to keep my neck more stable. Thanks everyone for your replies.
  • I think you are on the right track...They had an orthotist(sp?) fit me before my surgery...I remember him actually talking about the sizing of the miami j collar and that it is somewhat backwards...any how...we seem to be the same size...he fitted me for a medium...and it seems to fit really well...unfortunately I ended up in the thoracic extension of the miami j as well...bummer....I'd definitely look into someone checking the sizing for you...maybe there is an orthotist at the hospital where you had your surgery...since we just had our surgeries...I think it's important it fit so 1. you heal well and 2. you are comfortable...good luck and let me know how it turns out, take care, Olivia
  • I was pre-fitted in the doctor's office prior to surgery. The day of surgery, the doc fit me in a diff size and I questioned it. he said to me, "let me be the taylor, I know what will hold your neck the best."

i would think that if it didn't fit secure when he put it on you in the OR, he would have caught it. But then again, your doc may be different from mine. Bottom line, wear it as prescribed. It will become your best friend.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Is there anyway that you can fold up some hand towels and drape them around your neck, or perhaps a foam rubber collar fitted around your shoulder and use them as spacers? If the width is good, and just the height is the problem, perhaps just raising up the collar with the towels or foam rubber might work. I hope the more experienced people/experts on this forum say this is a good idea.

It should be better than raising your shoulders. The day before my surgery next week I get my collar fitted. This is an excellent thread so I'm better armed. Good luck, Joann!
  • Hi! I'm coming up to 11 weeks in my Miami J for a C1 fracture. I did quite a bit of research into the collar when I got mine. I hope this advice isn't too late, but at least anyone else who stumbles on this thread will read it.
    The sizing of the collar is counter-intuitive. The size is actually based on the height of the neck (chin to chest), not the girth. The shorter the neck, the smaller the size (XS, for example, is usually for the elderly or no-neck types). Large is mainly for women with long, thin necks. There is a good little guide at http://jeromemedical.com/preview_new/images/test.php It's still important that the people who issue the collar know how to size and fit it properly - I'm a 6' 85kg male, but wound up in a medium since it fit better than a small. And yes, the collar should be snug (I can fit one finger inside it). Oh, and if you're going to wear it for more than 10 weeks, I recommend getting two collars, as the pads and velcro can start to wear.
    Cheers!
  • I just had C5-C7 fused on 05/04/09 and I went home with no collar. With all that I have read here everyone is going home with some sort of collar. I wonder why my doc did not use them. I will be asking him when I go back. Namaste Lisalee
  • Some surgeons do not like to use collars. I wore mine for 6 weeks & did not really wean off. When he told me I could take it off I put it in a closet & haven't thought about it since. I didn't feel like I needed a soft collar at all.

If, GOD FORBID, I should ever need a hard collar again, I think I would try the aspen vista as many people here say they can fit better.
  • - interesting that collar utilization varies so much...I have the same surgery (tomorrow! :O ), and I will apparently have a soft collar for two weeks. I hate to be constricted around my head & neck, so I can't imagine needing to wear a hard collar...

obx
  • So, your surgery is finally here. I hope everything goes great!
  • Remember surgeons are picking those collars based on the reason for doing the surgery in the first place. Some may have a stabilization issue and hence the reason for surgery. Having multiple surgeries I have gone through surgery with just a collar and a miami J as well. Even with disc I think it depends on the degree of damage they have doing the surgery.
  • I had surgery 2 days ago and was placed in vista collar. I think it is too big, but haven't been brave enough yet to even look to see what size it is.

I go in for follow-up in two weeks and can start sleeping without the collar in one week.

advertisement