Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 Days Post Op ACDF 2 level

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi All,

I had my surgery (ACDF c5-c7) twelve days ago. All went well and now recovering at home. Pain was dissipating right up until I had the surgery, but right arm was weak and fingers were numb. After speaking with my Neurosurgeon post-op, he indicated that the spine and nerve were pinched to such a degree that surgery was definitely the right choice. Anyway, anticipating being in the cervical collar 8-12 weeks and having some therapy beginning in a couple of weeks. My fingers are still numb and arm is still weak, but not as bad as before. Just wondering if anyone else with similair surgery, how long were you in the collar and did you have issues sleeping? Also can I start doing some kind of strength exercises (2-4 lb dumbell curls) or should I wait for therapist to advise?

• Hi. I had the same surgery as you, this January. That is the amount of time I wore my collar. I was not allowed to lift over five pounds until after week 8- then it changed ot 10lbs. I was also not allowed to start therapy until then either. I have been doing therapy since March 10th. It is going well. I have pretty good range of motion in my neck now.
    Did you have donor bone or bone from your own hip?
    I had donor. Last xray- I was almost fused. My doctor said it takes about 6 months for full fusion.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck for a healthy recovery! :D keep that collar on! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I wore a hard collar for four weeks and then a soft collar for eight. For some reason, I didn't really have sleep issues. I slept the first week in my recliner with my hubby on the couch in case I needed anything. Then I moved to the bed and did fine there (after finding the right pillow to use). When I changed to the soft collar, even though doc said I could sleep in the soft collar, I'd wake up with neck pain and figured, since I didn't know what I do with my head while I'm sleeping, that I'd wear my hard collar while I slept. That happened for about a week.

I'm glad you're recovering well, but it's probably best not to do any exercises until your surgeon approves it.

Again, welcome to SH.