Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home!...Wheeew, "Anomoly??"

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all..
Well, Thank God..I made it ! Surgery was @ 7:30am lasting 2 hours.The leg pain apperas to have been allieviated.Unless it's because of the medication right now. Will know for certain in some time.
The Neuro said that indications on the last MRI W/Contrast was that the L-5 had shrunken somewhat,he told me this prior to surgery.(Good thing) However, after surgery he said that when he got inside he found what he termed am "Anomoly"..Various veins&nerves entangled. He said they are seeing this more frequently and more documents and lirerature is coming out about this.He claimed he didn't want to mess w/it too much,but I think he did sever some of it.Also, I asked him specifically what he did do(aside from exactly what, about that)...
Laminotomy NOT Laminectomey ("Partial" removal of bone.)
Fissula...I think this was another term for Anomoly???
Diskectomey.."Only some disc matter"
I'm still not 100% ceratin of all facts RE proceedure as I was really groggy when he informed me after the OP.

Does anyone know anything or could shed some more light on this for me? Either way...I'm alive, appear to have Pain relief,and have help for tonight so, all is well.

Thanks to everyone who posted, supported,encouraged me,I'll never forget that,,,will keep updating !

Meds given
Oxycontin 10mg x 3 day,Oxycodone HCL 5mg 1 every 4 hrs,Predisone(pyramid)

• I knew you could do it! =D> Was the surgery today and was it outpatient? I'm surprised you're not zonked out sleeping- I was after my surgery. How is your incision pain? I hope it's not too bad. If it's okay with the surgeon, maybe you can use ice later on. It's awesome that the nerve pain went away and I hope it don't come back. Anyway, good to hear from you and thanks for writing us. Take care and keep us updated :H
  • Meydey,
    Yes, this morning.Outpatient.I am instructed to ice the incision area for 20 mins every 2 hrs for 2 days for now.Hopefully the painis over.I am very tired but I am a very anxious type person and I'm still a bit rattled,couldn't sleep if I wanted to. Have been up since 4 this morning though..so, eventually I'll pass out..

• Now take care of yourself....you will be feeling better and I can't stress enough to not BTL. Take it from me,...I may have gotten a little careless and reinjured something after my surgery (hope it was just a flare-up) so baby yourself and don't overdue it. Remember to pull in your navel (contract your transverse stomach muscles) when you are rolling in/out of bed. :)

Take care and congrats!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    It's so good to know you did well and that its over with. I hope your recovery goes great. Just be patient and don't push it. Take care.

• Great that you are feeling better so soon! Still, remember what you've read about doing more because you feel so great! Take it easy, and take care of yourself so you have a higher chance for a SPEEDY recovery.
    Regarding what they did in there: I finally got the nerve to ask for surgical notes and my xray CD, and it's really interesting what all they did. It took them about 2 minutes (while I was at the reception desk at the NS office) for them to print out the surgical notes and consent for me to sign, the CD took a bit longer, but still under 15 minutes... just ask, if they are like my surgeon, everything in on the computer and extremely ez to access.

• That's great I'm glad you made it out okay and you have some relief. Kat has a great suggestion of getting the OR report so it'll be more clear of what went on. Take care and don't overdo anything. :) Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • So happy to hear you're ok!!! Keep us posted on your progress, take it easy & get your sleep. :D
  • GM all, Thanks for the replies so far. It's 330 am and I'm up already reading this site....I feel great! No leg pain.
    I really need to take heed to your advice because I do know that while I feel like all this never happened, I did just have surgery and I know me, I do tend to overdue things,, simply thinking I can and it's alright..
    I will "baby" myself and take it eazy for now.

• The Anomaly you are referring to is actually quite common. According to a friend of mine who's a neurosurgeon, it's more of an issue to get docs to realize/accept that those anomalies can cause as much pain as impingement due to bone.

Sounds like you have a great surgeon. Glad you are feeling better.

• C-
    Thanks for that.Yes, he readily admitted it was present,although I'm not sure if he's conceeding this was the cause of my pain.Evidently,as I was just told,he informed a family member after the surgery that he thought at first it was a tumor.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Good Morning. I'm glad you're feeling good. Take it easy though and get a lot of rest. I'm sure you'll be good as new soon.

• YAY! I'm glad you made it through and are back home and on the road to recovery, albeit a long one.

Like Kat said, you can order your surgical report from the hospital, but it can be done completely by mail. If your hospital has a website, there should be information there on how to order it.

I got mine and it was very interesting.

Again, welcome home and take care of yourself. Let the healing begin!
  • Paul,
    Glad to see you are on the other side...now you just have to take it easy, I know easier said than done. Keep up the good work!