Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello , I am new here. I have had a partial discectomy 2 1/2 years ago, have been in pain since three weeks after surgery, lived with it, finally went and had mri, neurosurgeion said live with the pain until I cant take it then due a fusion.,I have what I call bone on bone pain, when I sit, stand, walk....hahha, but there are a lot of things I still do, but my life has changed so much, I am or should I say was an Equine sports massage therapist, and an avid horsewoman all of my life. Horse have been my life mostly other than my children, I am 52 years old and still have a lot of living to do...before surgery I worked for usps delivering mail.and working on horses, now I am trying and have been trying to recreate myself, if you will , its very frustrating when everything you do causes you pain, I am on Neurontin, ultram, hydrocodone, and now most recently cymbalta for depression...I also started with what I thought was a pain clinic, but all they want to do is keep injecting me, today was my second injection, the first was l4/l5 and today where I had surgery l5/s1,,and damn I hurt so bad I cant sleep....sure hope it feels better in the morning... so thats my story. I am scared to death of fusion and will tolerate this pain as long as I can, maybe they will come up with something that actually works. I have a horse, two kids and one grandchild and I still ride my horse but mostly just once a week and about an hour of walking thru the fields and woods, which is the only thing that keeps me sane at this point...hahah

• Welcome to SH. You will find a lot of information here. Glad that you are here.

Sorry that you are in so much pain. But you have the right spirit there. It is difficult sometimes about making life changes. All of us have to make life changes, some have to stop or change jobs too.

You mentioned that you had a recent MRI, what does it says? Besides asking you to live with it, what else can he suggest?

If you have multiple injectons, that sounds right. Usually we have from 4 to 8 injections, to see results. If the injections do not help, it acts as a diagnostic tool for the doctor. So don't give up hope. There are different types of injections that enters at different entry site.

Hope you get the help you need and don't let your doc dismisses you. Best wishes.

• the mri showed that I have a spinal misalignmetn that I did not have before surgery and it is causing the vertebraes to rub bone on bone, l3/l4 has bulging /herniated same as l4/l5. l5/s1 same....but I have small amounts of sciatica pain, most of my pain is in the sacral area, I keep telling them it feel like bone on bone, when I walk more than a few min. it is unbearable, at that pt. I have pains shooting down my left hip,..the surgery was done initially due to the fact that the sciatica was Completely compressed....you can see that in the cat scan...omg I was in so much pain and continued to rotate on the sacrum delivering mail. until I had someone take me to a clinic, I had no idea I had a ruputured disc, I was in so much pain, did not study first, just wanted relief, as I was out of my mine, after surgery I lost my job, but somehow managed to keep my house, miracle from God that I did. gradually the pain just kept getting worse had no insurance, lost it...so ended up at a Free Clinic and they did what they could, then met a man , got married and he is retired army so have good insurance...mri was taken two months ago and I was in shock with what the rest of my back looked like, the cat scan befoe surgery , there was NO misalighnment in back and no other ruptures/bulges....my back was beautiful and straight....very depressing , thank you for your input on the injections as I was getting worried, and could not understand what he is doing......sorry for the long letter. just not had anyone to talk to for the three years I have been in pain....
  • I certainly can relate not talking to anyone since I've been ill. No get well cards or visits except by coworkers and not much by family. I had my epidural and some facet joint injections and injections are painful but would encourage you to get a sedative to take before hand. I forgot mine today and for some reason I got numbness in my arm when he was injectiong so I didn't even get the whole shot because of that reason. I hope your pain can be controlled with meds but there are people who are fused here in the same area and they are doing well. But during the injection time maybe get more opinions to make sure no damage is being done by waiting. Take care and I hope the injections help. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • you don't have to apologize for telling us your story. We are here to support you. In fact, supporting others help us through our pain.

Does your pain go down to the toes? Do you just have pain or with numbness? If it is just pain, that is a 'good' sign (well having pain is not fun at all) because the nerve still has feelings.

Herniation is painful. Did the report say mild, moderate or servre central canal stenosis?

I am sorry you have been enduring for so long. Best of luck to your fellow up treatments.
  • My last visit to the Pain clinic, I got a injection at the site where they did the surgery, on the left side where the disk had herniated,,,the pain from the injection was almost unbearable, I nearly passed out,,,,the Dr. told me that the nerve was really inflamed and that is why it hurt so badly, then I was numb from my hip to my toes for about an hour..had to sit in the dr., office, so I asked him to be straight with me, and he says that he believes that there is scar tissue rubbing the nerve from the previous surgery, and that if this injection doesnt last , We look for the Very Best surgeon to go in and remove the scar tissue, Has anyone ever had this type of surgery,,,,,,I am really scared and he said we have to find someone that is known to be the best for this type of surgery/?
  • After going conservative twice and then having a fusion, my surgeon went back in because the MRI showed a piece of something at my disk. He removed as much scar tissue as possible and I was fortunate that when it healed, my hip and butt pain was gone. You do realize that scar tissue is a part of healing and it will grow again? The hope is the nerves will not be irritated like they are now when they heal after the surgery.
    A fusion was a tough surgery for me to recover from, however; the pain I put up with and the waiting I did thinking I could deal with the pain before I had even the conservative surgeries done afterwards, I realize was not worth it. I wonder if my delay caused the permanent nerve damage I have in my foot. I'll never know and it doesn't matter anymore.
    All you can do is research your issues and try and find the best doctors that you can trust to help you and guide you.
    Good luck,
  • It may be a good idea to look for the very best surgeon, but you might just want to have a consultation with him to see what he would recommend and whether that is the source of your pain.

Scar tissue is a rather controversial issue. Many surgeons are reluctant to talk about its very existence, let alone admit that it might be the source of our post-surgical pain.

Everyone develops scar tissue after any surgery. It just depends on what effect it has.

If you run a search on this forum, you will see that there have been many threads pertaining to scar tissue. Many of us on here are affected by it and are wondering what to do about it.

One school holds that having surgery to remove scar tissue is counter-productive as the patient will just make more scar tissue that will replace that which is cut out. The more surgeries that are done at the same site, the more the scar tissue develops.

I have this problem and have done lots of research on the topic and have not found any definitive answers. I have had two surgeries and two different surgeons. One says that even though my MRI says "extensive epidural fibrosis," it is not causing any problems. My other surgeon acknowledges it but says you cannot go in and remove it as it will just grow back stronger and more invasive than ever. So I don't know what to think.

Good luck to you. Maybe you'll find the doctor that has the answer to this problem!
This discussion has been closed.