Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do you do it when you are inactive? Any tips

FormerfireFFormerfire Posts: 148
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
I had microdiscectomy last May, and have been pretty mucn inactive for the last year. So I have put on weight grrrrrr which apparently could be contributing to my hip bursitis.

I need to lose weight, but honestly am eating cause its the only good thing happening at the moment.

I would be interested to know how you guys are managing to lost weight if you aren't able to be very active? Has it made a difference to your mobility etc.

Any tips would be great.

I have tried shakes on and off for the last year, but as soon as i eat again it goes back on. I need to lose 10kg really.

Thanks for your help :)

• Is to walk on the treadmill and eat smaller portions. Walking on the treadmill doesn't have to be hard and fast, just steady and consistent. It boosts the metabolism and keeps the nerves freer in my lower back. If there's an incredible desire to eat a lot, then it's fruits and veggies. Normal meals I break down the portions into just ever so slightly smaller a portion and over time it gets easier.

• Hi Formerfire,

I have a couple of things that help me. One is that even though I can't bend or twist etc. I can step side to side or front to back. I can raise my arms and so on. So what I do is find those movements I can do and do them for 30 minutes twice a day as low impact cardio. Also I can now walk again so I walk every chance I get. For food I cut down the portion size. Including those treats that make life worth living :) I still have them. Just less. Finally, I've found I have strong food cravings for some processed food. I learnd this when I broke a tooth and had to be on a liquid diet for a few weeks. The cravings for the processed foods would lead me to general food cravings and ruin my taste for health foods. I had to identify those craving foods, which turned out just to be everything processed, with additives, and such, and to cut those out of my diet. Once I got those out I stopped having general food cravings too.

I hope you find what works for you.
  • Hi! :H losing weight and being a pain patient can make it very difficult to lose weight. ~X( i just lost 16# and am still going. =D> cutting down calories can be a big help. once you get into "real" food like fruits and vegies you can eat all you want of them! =D> i have found this to be a big boost. also cutting down on meat. remove meat from a meal and you lower your calories even more.. you still have the baked potatoe with light sour creme and a vegie. one of the best weight loss strageties is to get a buddy. <:P that has helped me alot!!also, journaling, where you write down everything you eat each day. after awhile you really see how much you are eating!! :? anyway, just a few tips. all the best! if you are interested in a weight loss buddy just pm me!! :D Jenny :)
  • for me it's more tempting to eat sweets or just eat from boredom/pain/etc since my injury so I try to reach for gum first & drink some water....unless it's time for a sensible meal or snack.
  • I was in the same position and I eat 3 small meals a day and lots of fruit and water and lots of veggies. I just started walking today 2 blocks. I also do 30 minutes on the recumbent stationary bicycle. I guess a treadmill would be good also but right now I'm just going to start walking outside. My light jacket can't even be done up because of the 50 pounds I gained being immobile. Yogurt and fruit are my only desserts. Good luck everyone.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Inactivity prior to surgery had me gaining about 50 lbs, and since surgery (only 3 months, sadly),I've gained another 20. I have recently found that I actually love to cook (may have before but I can't remember :p ) So, I started experimenting with low-sugar substitutions for sweets (I now use Splenda instead of white sugar), plus, I found a great website that you can enter your recipes, and find out their Nutrition Values (actually more info than you find on the can of (whatever) you eat). Check it out, you can enter any food you eat and it will tell you how many calories/fat/sodium/vitamins/etc. in it: http://www.nutritiondata.com/

And as an added note: if you make cookies (like nestle toll house) with Splenda, you MUST flatten them out somewhat with a spoon, as they do NOT flatten as they bake like they do if you use sugar. I actually like the texture of them with the Splenda, much "finer", and my kids (ok, they're 18, but they are kids to me) love them too.

And last of all, walk, walk, walk, and walk some more :p Also, ask your doctor/pt what core exercises you can do, and if you aren't already, ask for a referral to pt.
    Unfortunately, so far, I am gaining muscle mass, and not losing weight :(

• Hmmmm...me and sugar/chocolate are a lethal combo. I get so bored lying down i eat rubbish. These tips are great - i will try and implement some :)
  • So far walking has been my only option due to the pain, but i keep getting bursitis in my hip and i cant even do that now. I feel caught in a terrible cycle that i don't seem to be able to break.

One would think eating healthily wouldnt be so hard, but I just have shocking willpower when it comes to sugar and carbs.

Will let you know how i go!
  • I got bursitis in my hip when I started back walking. It turned out that my I.T. band muscle was very tight and was rubbing on the bursa there in my hip. After about two weeks of stretching the IT band the pain in the bursa went any.
    There are several different ways to stretch that muscle. I like the laying on the bed stretch so I can just relax into it and don't have to try and keep my balance like with the standing versions. Whatever works.

Hope you feel better Formerfire
  • It attempting to keep our weight loss going one might need to eat just 1500-1800 calories a day or less, which is unsustainable perhaps the key it to do what you can when you can and start very slowly, nobody could run a marathon with no previous training or build up.

The biggest fact in giving up is doing to much initially is not that we are incapable of doing more just we have not managed that pacing element well or adequately. I use a stationary cycle, no weight bearing no jarring good for the knees and hips and will get that heart rate up to its most efficient rate quickly and safely.

I have never seen an effect programme that does not include some form of exercise or activity and even trying inactive weight loss a recipe for disappointment and more food and the emphasis it to change that learned behaviour and seen some initial success that you can build on, I used to have fruit days, just fruit it helped kick start some loss and encouraged more. If you had to run another 15 min for every snack and see food in those terms, set small achievable goals over a time period, reward you success and do not dwell on when it does not go too well.

The key is finding what works for YOU, I cannot walk well or swim and am currently using seated exercise with weights to seem if this is of any value, our PM residential we had a physical circuit every day, simple effect and a challenge for all participants. Some came with a cane or two and the level of activity increased for all however small, it was a confidence thing for some. I have lost 20lbs + it has taken a long long time, and I try where possible to include activity and when possible, some days I cannot stand, and even Lance had better watch out !

Ps my 15 years old daughter just ran the Race for Life and together we are helping and support each other and sharing weight loss, she lost 2lbs this week.

I always thought we should have a visiting nutritionist specific to weight loss and CP and a resources section where collective information could be downloaded and food plan support.
  • Do excersie n walk n control ur eating habits fix ur timetable for your breakfast, lunch, n dinner n eat healthy n don’t eat a single thing after having your meals avoid junk food . I reduced 10 kgs like this its very effective n yeah I for got to mention drink a lot of water.
  • there is a great new sugar substitute out called "Stevia." what is so good about this is that it is NATURAL and you need very little to get that sweet taste.. try it and you will be very surprised. please realize how dangerous to your body those artificial sweeteners are!! Jenny
  • A recent idea was to photograph what you have eaten, split this up into the good, the bad and the ugly, try to eat foods that contain 6gms of fat per 100, I am still not convinced that anyone can loose weight without some form of increased activity, I have lost 30 lbs it took a long long time, and I can get me heart rate up, I have been inventing in increasing that resistance to make that time shorter but more effective and bought a heart rate monitor.

Perhaps find your reason for eating why what to do when those naughty ideas come along, weight loss is only daily multiplied by a lifetime, some easy eh !

Take care and put that down !

This discussion has been closed.