Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone with similar condition?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
56 year old female, had harrington rod (T4 to L3) scoliosis surgery 1979 in NYC. Current films indicate cervical kyphosis between C4 & C6 with degenerative disc disease at those levels, grade II spondylolisthesis at L5-S1, and increased lumbosacral lardosis.

pain is intermittent and intermittently severe - lower back, upper arm, shoulders, neck, and tingling hands.

surgeon recommends fusion w/extension to pelvis, anterior and posterior procedure, won't discuss neck until back is done.

Any advice????

• I had spondylolisthesis in my L3 to L5 area and after my two surgeries (first was ALIF L4/L5, second was revision PLIF L3/L4/L5 with screws) I can tell a huge difference. My low back feels tight and not the pain level that I had before when I moved around. I still have some remaining achiness and too tight feeling sometimes, but I'm 5 mos postop still.

With the vertebras slipping out of place and either moving around or staying slipped, the pain is kniving. You already have the rod from T4 to L3, so you probably dread having the L5/S1 done I bet? Plus, what about L3/L4, will it go out as well if everything top and bottom is fused?

I think the anterior gets all the disc out and gives one a better fusion and they have to go in posteriorly to put in the screws to hold things together better. I've heard that having both at the same surgery is tougher at first, but then you are getting it all done and over with too.

How come your surgeon won't consider ALIF only and put in the plate to stablize? Is the rod you already have making the PLIF necessary for strength or something?

There's others that have had the scoliosis surgery that hopefully will post and know better than me. I just wanted to say Hi! and share. My neck is the same as yours and I'm about to get a surgery opinion on it...really dreading even talking about another surgery, but...I'm in the "fix" mode lately it seems, if there is such a thing. LOL

Good luck with your research and decision.